Storm 3G fustration
Eyesinsideout

Still hard to swallow the fact that I keep reading on here that 1xev is 3g when the device has a setting for either 1xev or 3g... My wife's HTC says 3g so it not the location that's the problem.. When I bought this phone it was the phone that Verizon's web site shows when you hit the "shop for 3g phone" what I'm trying to get to is, if the phone is a 3g phone and has a 3g setting, show the 3g connection.

Will be returning this phone...

Just needing to vent

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Storm 3G fustration
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Eyesinsideout wrote:

Still hard to swallow the fact that I keep reading on here that 1xev is 3g when the device has a setting for either 1xev or 3g... My wife's HTC says 3g so it not the location that's the problem.. When I bought this phone it was the phone that Verizon's web site shows when you hit the "shop for 3g phone" what I'm trying to get to is, if the phone is a 3g phone and has a 3g setting, show the 3g connection.

Just needing to vent

Hi,

I believe that 1XEV is 3G.  It is the same thing.

Doc

0 Likes
JCM
Enthusiast - Level 3
ABSOLUTELY CORRECTO BUT IF YOU HAVE 1xev or 1X there's a problem it has to be 1XEV just like that with capital letters. You know the more I read and yes the storm is not for everyone I believe there should be training before you own a storm or have some kind of technical mind set im sorry people but its true
0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

JCM wrote:
ABSOLUTELY CORRECTO BUT IF YOU HAVE 1xev or 1X there's a problem it has to be 1XEV just like that with capital letters. You know the more I read and yes the storm is not for everyone I believe there should be training before you own a storm or have some kind of technical mind set im sorry people but its true

I am a firm believer that any smartphone device like the BB Storm should come with some sort of short training (20mins?) by a knowledgable VZW employee on how to operate, maintain, and do limited troubleshooting before they walk out the door.  Of course this is just as fantasy as there's never enough employees to give 1 on 1 time like this so people walk out of the store clueless and then can figure out why when they're running 6 applications at the same time and haven't reset their phone in 2 weeks it's running slow. 

Anyway, like JCM wrote, anything less than 1XEV and you're not getting the full monty from VZW......Usually if I'm in an area where I know I normally have full 3G and i'm 1xev or 1x, I simply recycle my radio and that will cure the issue.  Being in 1xev can cause u to miss emails, msgs, notifications and whatever else sometimes.....once you go back to full 3G you then get bombarbed with all the stuff that's been piling up.  If it's an issues, again, 1. recycle your radio, if that doesn't work, do a quickpull, if you don't have quickpull, yank the battery out and start from there.  Let us know how it goes.

0 Likes
SureTypeBandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

Eyesinsideout wrote:

Just needing to vent

!XEV is verizon's 3G technology.  It uses CDMA radio frequencies.  Just b/c it doesnt say "3G" doesnt mean that your not get it.  The Motorola Droid for example runs off of the same CDMA network and it says "3g".  It is bases on the phone what that icon will show up as.  

As far as the icon on the iphone goes,  when it says 3g, they are getting 3g as well, but ATT uses a GSM based radio frequency.

Just for your info.....CDMA is faster....

0 Likes
JCM
Enthusiast - Level 3
Absolutely agree with you ltowflyer hey uh, about 1XEV you know I've done a wipe on apps and I must say it has not moved at all I remember before wipe going into browser after awhile i would get 1X what I would do is turn network off and on and it would go back to normal I don't do that no more it had to be apps I think we should all stand by.
0 Likes
JCM
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hellos, hey sorry for spelling, i was typing in storm and I didn't have it in zoom I don't know how that t got in there???? you know also.. when first starting smartphone on after a OS update or wipe. There's a pop up that comes up that says do you want automatic search for cdma gsm I had put no. I don't know if it was that or not having apps but I don't get 1X or 1xev any more I would get at least 2 times a day.... Hey eyesinsideout hope any of this info helps also for all...
0 Likes
BullZeye

Actually, my 9530 did come with some training. The Verizon sales person that handled my purchase gave me a 45 minute walk-thru on my new "Storm"!...and I might add, one of the best Smart phone's I have ever had.

Also if you need any kind of assistance or training as you call it with ANY of Verizon's products...all you have to do is walk in to ANY Verizon store and tell them you need some help. Simple as that! :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

BullZeye wrote:

Actually, my 9530 did come with some training. The Verizon sales person that handled my purchase gave me a 45 minute walk-thru on my new "Storm"!...and I might add, one of the best Smart phone's I have ever had.

Also if you need any kind of assistance or training as you call it with ANY of Verizon's products...all you have to do is walk in to ANY Verizon store and tell them you need some help. Simple as that! :smileyhappy:

Thanks Bullzeye for sharing your positive experience here, it's nice to know that there are VZW employees actually looking out for the customer.  I myself have almost always felt like they were looking out for me and when I purchased mine, I didn't get a 45 min walk through but the sales associate did go over some basics like closing out of programs and how to use certain features.  Thanks again.

0 Likes