Re: Remove Bing
thorzack

I agree, Im a Tour user, and all that's been sent to my phone was the shortcut to the download....but I don't like the idea that we pay money each month...get unlimited data, pay for unlimited texting, pay for phones, phone service, fees and taxes, and they push something to MY phone!

Its not as big on here, but if you go to Crackberry dot com, everyones up in arms over this. and seriously...flooding their lines nad emails will cost them and im sure they'll pass it back to us...but what the heck! lol.

But I hope they're not using the "Well, if you dont like it, then cancel your plan with us for $350 ETF" So if they weed out a few people, they don't care ,they just collected $350 for ETF...which is ridiculously priced as it is.

VZW, if you're going to be obnoxious and intrude on OUR PROPERTY and our privacy (yes, these phones belong to us...remember? We bought them, we pay for the service on them? Just reminding you) then feel free to lower my bill, give me free data, and be more competitive price wise with other carriers.

This really does aggrevate me! go to crackberry and look over their posts...folks are not happy!

0 Likes
Rockrolex

Deputydog2003 wrote:

I am very disappointed with Verizon because it seems they have bowed to the almighty dollar.

I use to use bing a little, but now that they are forcing it on me, I've removed it from my Storm 2, as well as all three of my home computers.  I will only use Google or Yahoo now, and I will NEVER use anything related to Bing.  I hope you are happy Verizon!

My question to you is how do you get rid of Bing on the Storm 2?  I cleared my caches and memory and was able to set Google as my home page when my browser opens, but that means I have to use the "Go To" command to get to my favorites and browsing history.  How can I get back to my Blackberry home page without Bing coming up as the search engine?

And having now been forced to use Bing, I can confirm that it is probably the world's worst search engine (but what can you expect from the company that brought us Vista).  Bing is an abomination and Verizon has committed a travesty and probably an antitrust violation.

0 Likes
morcguy

I foolishly installed Bing after seeing the download on my Tour.  Once installed, it failed to run, "Out of Memory"  So I attempted to delete Bing, and I have the 552 error.

Thanks Verizon.

0 Likes
Yourhums

According to one of the blackberry forums, people have been filling FCC complaints against Verizon and RIM for "Deceptive or Unlawful Advertising or Marketing" for forcing Bing on us.

The link is:
https://esupport.fcc.gov/sform2000/formA!input.action?form_page=2000A

Alternatively you can fill out and fax or email the PDF form at:
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/Form2000A.pdf

Another interesting idea is that, since we own our phones, we might be able to send Verizon a letter giving them 30 days to remove their Bing software from our phones. After that time there will be a fee charged per day or per month for storage of their unrequsted software. I'm not sure what our contracts have to say about it, but lots of small claims court cases or a class action suit might be possible. Any lawyers out there want to weigh in on this?

As far as losing Google search in the Blackberry Browser, there are other browswers you can download and install like Opera.

0 Likes
Yourhums

I found the Customer Agreement online and it does say,

"Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device."

They have not breached their own service agreement, but they sure have **bleep** off lots of their customers.

Other carriers do not disable the wi-fi features of the blackberry. I wonder if I take my blackberry to another carrier if they can enable them on the phone I bought from Verizon.

0 Likes
cordelya

I also just started a topic at GetSatisfaction.com, which may receive more notice. Also, to get the word out, you can then post the GetSatisfaction item to Twitter/Facebook etc. The more people are aware, the better.

GetSatisfaction:

http://gsfn.us/t/q1hu

0 Likes
AzCellUser

The future is; Opera Mini 5 beta 2..... just downloaded it several days ago on my 9550 and it works like a champ.  Allows me to bookmark, go to recently visited websites, is a little quicker than the other search providers and allows me to use whatever search provider I want to.  Took me a day of messing around with it to get its usage down but it is well worth the download.  Try it and let others know what you think....... 

0 Likes
andafaith

I have a Blackberry Curve and it was rather easy to remove Bing. Just go into Options - Advanced Options - Service Book then scroll down a little bit to find Bing, press on the menu key and delete it. All gone. Simple.

0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

andafaith wrote:

I have a Blackberry Curve and it was rather easy to remove Bing. Just go into Options - Advanced Options - Service Book then scroll down a little bit to find Bing, press on the menu key and delete it. All gone. Simple.

As long as you have not downloaded Bing, it's not installed on your handset.  The option above simply deletes the Bing icon link to the download.  Again, just b/c you have an icon doesn't mean Bing is installed.  And I'll echo the others, I hate the Bing search engine...I want Google back pls.....WTH big red......  

0 Likes
jsloey

Nothing new about this kind of thing. I was surprised to see the icon show up on my curve this morning. If, as some of my friends did, you made the mistake of downloading this memory pig you can always remove it through options>advanced options>applications. You can hide the dumb icon or delete it in service book but the really offensive thing is that some **bleep** decided to shove this down everyone's throat like they have the right to do it.

It's kinda like selling you a blackberry and touting it's GPS capability but then disabling it unless you pay $7/month and use VZNav.

That AT&T map might have a lot of holes in the midwest farm communities but it's looking better and better in my town.

0 Likes