Question for my Dad's phone
carey

He said he has the curve 8330...how can he update to the current OS system on his phone?  He is running the 4.3.0.127...am I'm clueless..thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Question for my Dad's phone
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You can always tell the model of a Blackberry by going to Options>About on the device in question and it will be listed there along with the version of OS the device is running.  Blackberry Desktop Manager will detect which device you have attached to your computer and give you the choice of OS upgrade for that particular device.  The only thing you need to do in advance is make sure you have loaded the most up to date OS file from Verizon.  Those files can be found at http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/ and can be downloaded to your PC.  After downloading the update files you want to your PC, you will need to click on the files and install the upgrade files in order to integrate them into Blackberry Desktop Manager.  After that, all you need is a little time.  Each device will take about an hour to update.  I made a little how to that describes how to update a device.  It follows:

How to Update your Blackberry’s Software

1. On your computer, download and install Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM). The program can be found on the CD that came with your Blackberry or from Blackberry’s web site at the following URL: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/

2. Download the upgrade file for your device. This can be done from the vendor’s web site, such as Verizon’s at http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

3. Click on the downloaded upgrade file and install that file your computer. Now the upgrade file will be integrated into BDM.

4. Attach your Blackberry device to your computer and backup your device’s settings before upgrading. This is important so that you do not have to enter your contacts, etc back into your phone again.

5. After backing up, you are ready to begin. With BDM running on your computer, click on Application Loader.

6. Under Update Software, click on Start.

7. Now you will be presented with a list of available software upgrade options. Select the proper upgrade by placing a check mark next to the one you want to install and click next.

8. Follow the prompts and your software will install on your device. It is important to remember that the whole process can take 30-45 minutes. Do not unplug your Blackberry from your computer during the upgrade.

9. Once you receive the message on your computer the process is complete, you are done.

Hope this helps,

Doc

0 Likes
carey

As always, you're the best Doc.....is there an easier way to do it without using the computer, just from the phone?  Its hard to believe, but he actually is worse than me when it comes to this stuff!  :smileywink:

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

carey wrote:

As always, you're the best Doc.....is there an easier way to do it without using the computer, just from the phone?  Its hard to believe, but he actually is worse than me when it comes to this stuff!  :smileywink:

Some of the upgrades for Blackberry devices can be done wirelessly from the phone, but I highly recommend not doing so.  The reason is that if the download is somehow interrupted, the file can become corrupted, causing problems with the installation.  I have found it best to perform all upgrades on a PC with Blackberry Desktop Manager.  It also does not take as long to perform the update with the comptuer.  Hope that helps.

Doc

0 Likes