Messaging Question
chancebb

Hi everyone, I have a quick question here. So I understand you have to have a data plan with a BB device. My question is, when you chat on the AIM preloaded on your BB, does it count as  SMS or and IM sent over your data connection. Im trying to figure if I should just cancel my SMS service when I upgrade to a BB!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Messaging Question
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I am almost certain that AIM uses your data plan, not your SMS service to send/recieve data.  If you do get a Blackberry device, I would recommend you get a calling plan such as the individual select plan which includes unlimited messaging.  SMS and MMS are really great tools of the Blackberry.  However, if you do not send or recieve messages, then you can pay as you go for messages.  One great thing about Verizon is the My Verizon feature.  You can check your phone usage to see how you use your device and keep track of things like messaging.  Good luck.

Doc

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Yuup. AIM or any other instant messenger app on the phone will only use your data plan. And with AIM you can text to a phone number with +1(5055551212). You will see it as a normal AIM chat, the other person will get a normal SMS they can reply to.

0 Likes
chancebb

Thank you for your answers. Im so excited to be getting one soon. I just dont need/want a bill that hits over $100. Im not complaining or anything just trying to figure a way to work this in my budget.  Again, thank you for your replies.

0 Likes