Just to clarify 8330 GPS compatibility
TWS

From reading posts here and elsewhere on the net, my understanding is that:

• The 8330's internal GPS will be unlocked as long as you upgrade to version 4.5
  • The "unlocked" internal GPS will only work with Blackberry Maps, and of course the $10/month Verizon Navigator
  • The "unlocked" internal GPS will not work with any other GPS program

Having an internal GPS, I'd like top have a choice in which turn-by-turn navigation program/service I purchase or subscribe to.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Just to clarify 8330 GPS compatibility
MrSpock2002
Not correct.  Google Maps, Garmin Nav4All work just fine.
0 Likes
TWS

AFAIK, Google maps on the 8330 does not use the internal GPS.  It uses cell tower triangulation.  That's why it is only able to figure your location to within a large radius (1700m?).  Whereas Blackberry maps, which is able to use the internal GPS, can figure your location almost exactly (10's of feet?)

I will try Garmin Nav4All to see if it is able to use the 8330 internal GPS.

Gary

0 Likes
TWS
Just installed Nav4all, and as expected it could not locate the GPS on my 8330, even though Blackberry maps is able to.
0 Likes
TWS

According to Verizon customer service as of a few minutes ago - 3rd party navigation apps are prevented from GPS access on the 8330 but not on the Storm.  I was disappointed from his initial vague response of "we can't guarantee the operation of any 3rd party applications".  Sounds like an attempt to brush off what is really an explicit feature crippler to force subscription to VZ Navigator.   Since I'm in the 1st month of my phone purchase I'll probably return the phone.  I just don't like the idea of Verizon forcing me to purchase a subscription for their application rather than letting me choose.

Gary

0 Likes
didier9

Well, on my Verizon BB 8330, the Blackberry maps are apparently installed (if I go to Options->Advanced->Maps, I see that BB Maps are enabled), but there is no shortcut to the BB maps application in the menu, and if I try to download it from the bb web site, it says it will run only on OS 4.1 and 4.2, and my BB has OS 4.5, so the app won't even download.

I have Google Maps (only works with triangulation, so it is not very precise, but otherwise would be all I need) and GPS Tracker (simply tries in vain to get something from the GPS), and neither apparently can access the GPS.

Please note that I have Location enabled in the GPS setting.

How can I get BB maps installed and running on my device?

Thanks in advance,

Didier

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Reload it through the desktop manager.

0 Likes