Japanese Input on Blackberry Tour 9630
lovemeblkberry

Hi,

I heard there is a way to type Japanese characters on the Tour. Can anyone please tell me how to do this? Is there a software for this, or does the device already come equipped with this setting?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Japanese Input on Blackberry Tour 9630
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You can switch the language input option by going to Options>Language Input and change to desired language.  You have to first install which ever language you want by connecting your device to Blackberry Device Manager and adding the language support you desire.

Doc

0 Likes
lovemeblkberry

Hi Doc,

Thank you for the tip. However, I am still not quite understanding the process. Which software do I download for Japanese input? I looked up blackberry downloads here:  https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22, but there are many softwares to choose from, and none specify Japanese language input. Am I looking at the wrong site? After downloading the software to my Tour, will I see "Japanese" as one of the options when I go to OPTIONS>LANGUAGE INPUT? 

Sorry for being such a noob. Your response is greatly appreciated.  

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

lovemeblkberry wrote:

Hi Doc,

Thank you for the tip. However, I am still not quite understanding the process. Which software do I download for Japanese input? I looked up blackberry downloads here:  https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22, but there are many softwares to choose from, and none specify Japanese language input. Am I looking at the wrong site? After downloading the software to my Tour, will I see "Japanese" as one of the options when I go to OPTIONS>LANGUAGE INPUT? 

Sorry for being such a noob. Your response is greatly appreciated.  

Hi,

Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM) software is on the CD that came with your Blackberry.  If you don't have it, you can download it here.  After installing it, follow the instructions found here

Doc

0 Likes
lovemeblkberry

Hi Doc,

Thank you again for your help. I think I got the idea; however, I'm now having problems connecting my device to the Desktop Manager I downloaded when I first got the phone. For some reason, I cannot get my computer to read my device. When I did it before, my PC read the connections with no problems... When I open the Blackberry Desktop Manager, it says on top "Disconnected." I went to options>connection options>USB>OK but nothing. I right-clicked the Blackberry icon on the bottom right of my task bar, properties>device connection, and I see that  COM1 is in Disconnected status. I even tried restarting my PC, but same thing. Is there a setting on the phone to make it read the connection?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

There is some software that is using the port that your Blackberry connects with.  I had this happen to mine.  I used a software called Datapilot that I use to backup my contact with and it was interfering with the port my Blackberry was trying to connect with.  The solution was to stop this software from starting.  You may have software like this going on your computer.  Also, you may try connecting your Blackberry to a different USB port to see if that may change.  It might not, because it may try to connect the Blackberry via the same IRQ channel.  If you look in your system properties, your Blackberry is probably using COM 4 and COM 5 to communicate.  See if you have some other device plugged into USM or have some other software you use your Blackberry for and try to disconnect it.  Let me know if you need more help doing this.  You can private message me here in the forums.

Doc

0 Likes
Kika

Hi, Doc

I found this exchange very helpful, but I don't think Blackberry device software v4.7 supports the East Asian language package.  It worked for my older Blackberry, but not for my Tour.  See the list of language options here.  It only goes up to v4.6.

I've got my Desktop Manager properly installed and it communicates with my device fine.  It doesn't give me the language package option though.  Have you actually installed Japanese input on your Tour?

Thanks

0 Likes