Re: It's here...RIM Blackberry Storm 2 9550
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

kycz777 wrote:

I just bought Storm2 here in Greensboro, NC. Its faster than my Curve. Faster than my friend's Storm. Has wifi but I dont think it is working. 3G seems a lil fast but the wifi is in gray mode. according to the manual:

Your connection to a Wi-Fi network is turned on, but you are not in a Wi-Fi coverage area.

What that does mean? If I go to Manage COnnections, the wifi is not checked. Has a dash " - " right next to it. I sometimes hate buying gadgets too early.

"Your connection to a Wi-Fi network is turned on, but you are not in a Wi-Fi coverage area."  That should be pretty self explanatory. You have to be within range of a WiFi network to use WiFi. It's not like a cellular wireless network that's most available everywhere.

"If I go to Manage COnnections, the wifi is not checked. Has a dash " - " right next to it."

That means you don't have the WiFi radio turned on. Check the box and the radio will turn on and will allow you to connect when you get in range of a WiFi network.

0 Likes
bb-gismo
Contributor - Level 1

MMCHILEMAN ........

Can you tell me if the Storm2 or perhaps the Druid will allow voice calls (in / out) on a wi-fi system hooked to a sattalite internet.

Please.... Some one tell me something, if you KNOW.......

I really need to get rid of my Sprint land line...

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

bb-gismo wrote:

MMCHILEMAN ........

Can you tell me if the Storm2 or perhaps the Druid will allow voice calls (in / out) on a wi-fi system hooked to a sattalite internet.

Please.... Some one tell me something, if you KNOW.......

I really need to get rid of my Sprint land line...

You can use an application called Skype to make voice calls and it will utilize your WiFi connection, so you'll need a WiFi network set up. It's a service and application you may need to pay for, but it won't use any plan minutes. I don't know about over satellite. Your broadband connect needs to be pretty fast to handle qualify voice calls.

0 Likes
767pilot

Is there a skype application for the Storm?

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

IM+ might be the only way to go at this point. I don't know if Skype ever directly released a beta of the official app. I know back in May/June of this year they were saying they were working on one and it would be available as a beta around that time.

If not, there are other alternatives. www.truphone.com and www.iskoot.com are worth checking out.

Personally I don't use these services, so I can't attest to their usefulness, ease of use or reliability.

0 Likes
767pilot

I'll have to check those out. the abilty to make wifi phone calls while travelling would make me upgrade right away. Also, slingbox has never worked for the Storm. Any idea if it works for the storm2?

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Slingbox currently does not have any support for either Storm device: http://www.slingmedia.com/go/blackberry

Slingbox has been pretty silent when it comes to the Storm. Don't know why. They did release a beta a while back. The beta must not have done very well because there was never a wide release. Maybe they were waiting for a Storm with Wifi? It looks like from their support page that most of the devices they support all have Wifi. And it even says at the bottom of the page: * Supported by SlingPlayer Mobile when used with Wi-Fi connection.

0 Likes