Is there any way to extend the length of text messages on Blackberry Tour?
mckid814
0 Likes
Re: Is there any way to extend the length of text messages on Blackberry Tour?
Crackberry20
Enthusiast - Level 3

No i do not think so 160 is the most u can type 

0 Likes
Not applicable

YES...my son taught me this one. Send your text message as a MMS message which is the same as if you were sending a picture...it allows 1000 characters..big difference. Thank goodness for having a kid to figure it out.

0 Likes
Not applicable

send as a mms instead of a text-1000 characters

0 Likes
bstorm2b

Another thing you can try is adding your sms contact to your blackberry messanger. All you have to do is open up messanger and click add then it has an option of adding an sms contact. The BBM does not have a max amount that you can send in a message. Just make sure you have the updateed verison of BBM. I not just go to app world and get it there.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

bstorm2b wrote:

Another thing you can try is adding your sms contact to your blackberry messanger. All you have to do is open up messanger and click add then it has an option of adding an sms contact. The BBM does not have a max amount that you can send in a message. Just make sure you have the updateed verison of BBM. I not just go to app world and get it there.

Hey,

I am not sure about the BBM trick.  Look at the top and you will still see the count-down from 160 characters.

Doc

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

Also if you use the MMS method, make sure you have that included in your plan otherwise you make get hit with additional fees for each MMS sent/recieved.

0 Likes
bstorm2b

There are 2 apps for this one is Textender and the other is Beyond 160

0 Likes
Flaco117

This was my first concern when i bought my Tour (6 months ago). i used the MMS 'trick' but it didnt save those msgs into the recent messages when reading back on a conversation.

2nd solution, go for the app crunchSMS in BB app world, its free, a rather new app so little bugs here and there but its threaded texts (iPhone style bubbled conversations) and no 160 limit, and you can press enter to send the message lol.

Kudos me for the idea if you like it =D

0 Likes
Geocritter

Only problem with all of this, folks, is that you have to remember the history of SMS...160 characters is kind of like the old 80 character lines on computer monitors...it was a universal messaging length.  If you use extenders, fine, but just remember that anybody who either A) doesn't have a blackberry or B) (probably) if they don't have the extender programs, then they will not get the full message, it will get truncated.

I say tht instd f lngthning msgs pst 160 id prctce th ancint art f txtng shrthnd lk we alwys hd 2 do.  :smileyvery-happy:

Besides, it keeps the mind sharp (trying to find ways to shorten words is a real challenge! lol), protects the thumbs from repetitive injuries by cutting down on the number of characters, AND, keeps a unique art form alive.  Anything past 160 is simply diarrhea of the keyboard.  You're better off, just break the message and send a second sms.  Most people do understand...especially if you break it with a "...". 

0 Likes