Internet speed on Blackberry Storm incredibly slow
MaryDenise

I've had a Blackberry Storm w/ unlimited data access for the past year, and I always thought it was so slow it was almost unusable, but didn't really have anything to compare it to. My son, who is on my family plan  just bought an HTC Incredible. The sales person told us the internet access would be ten times faster than on the blackberry, but she was wrong - it's more like 25 times faster. That's based on a comparison of two dozen different web sites, with both of us sitting in the same room.

My question is - is this normal? Are Blackberrys always this slow, or is mine set up wrong or just broken? I like the email support and I could live with it being half as fast as an iPhone or a Droid, or even a quarter as fast, but 25 times is a bit much.

BTW, I have tried the normal tips for speeding it up - removing apps, using the Opera browser, etc. Some of them helped slightly, but  all together less than a 10% improvement.

Thanks

Mary

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Internet speed on Blackberry Storm incredibly slow
daverachfaze

Your not the only one!  Mine is also slow and the customer service tried to tell me it was the downloads etc.. well I deleted them and it is still slow.  I have tried it all and nothing has worked...should you find out let us know...good luck

0 Likes
newshutr

Pretty much it's the webkit browser on the Storm...on most BlackBerry phones actually.  But there's promise that the new OS 6 will change that.  There's been video demos of the OS 6 webkit speeds on CrackBerry.com  Think they may be on youtube also...under crackberry's video section.

Only problem is, you'd better have a phone that RIM/VZW have decided will get OS 6..or you're SOL really..

Anyways, it's a horrible browser.  And I know what you mean about the HTC Incredible.  I got mine last Friday.  But I returned it yesterday and got a BlackBerry Bold 9650. 

The Inc. is fast..really fast.  More strorage, slicker OS...

But slow on email..slow on messaging(can't compare to BBM)...typing was a chore for me..

Guess it's wait and see..

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

The only other thing you can do is try to use mobile versions of sites whenever possible. On some sites, you can find this option either at the top or bottom of the web page, or some simply have a prefix of "m." Such as m.webaddress.com.

As a previous poster mentioned, OS 6.0 and its Webkit browser should greatly improve browsing, but you'll need a device that gets the update.

0 Likes
Saw116

To call this phone a smart phone is like calling Forest Gump an Astro-physicist . If I could get my money back I would. You can use it for e-mail but that's about it. Data plan's a joke. Matter of fact I had to download an app called quick pull so you could reboot the phone and free the memory about 5 times a day otherwise you would have to pull the battery out to clear it. TERRIBLE PHONE.

0 Likes
ripple2008

Slow! I can go down to the store  pick up the newspaper and look up the scores and maybe ill get lucky and get thru. But, by that time I already know what I know. So most of the time I don't even waste my time. Ill just call a friend

0 Likes
scb219

I agree about the internet being incredibly slow on my BB Storm as well. I just upgraded to the Droid X and I'm waiting for it in the mail. My brother has the HTC Incredible and it blows my BB Storm out of the water! I think that the Droid phones are built better for media and internet usage whereas Blackberry are built for messaging and e-mail. I will wait and see how my new Droid X does. Hopefully it is great at both media and messaging!

0 Likes