Insurance On The Bb Storm (Yes Or No)
NessaChanel

I just received my Storm on Tuesday and honestly, I LOVE my Blackberry Storm.  Right now I'm trying to determine if I should get insurance put on it or not.  I've heard cases where insurance is mainly a big rip off but at the same time, if I don't get insurance on it, I'd have to pay full retail price...(199.99 I believe). 

Btw, I just switched from Alltel to Verizon, b/c 1. I hate alltel and 2. in my area, they didn't merge.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Insurance On The Bb Storm (Yes Or No)
dave1812
Contributor - Level 1
That is simply a personal choice.  Some never get insurance and some swear by it.  IF you are hard on phones, perhaps to ease your mind, you should get it.  Folks like me, who take extra care of their stuff, and don't worry a whole lot about such things, never has had insurance on any of the 7 phones I've owned over the past 11 years.  I pay for everything with AMEX, which gives me an extra year warranty for items with a 1 year mfgr warranty.
Message Edited by dave1812 on 05-31-2009 06:37 PM
0 Likes
NessaChanel

That's very true.  I go to school fulltime and I work fulltime so my Storm is basically being used almost the entire day.

0 Likes
RoniTalk
Enthusiast - Level 3
I think insurance can come in handy, at least try it for about 6 months to be on the safe side and if you think you wont need it then cancel it. I believe insurance is 5.99 a month and $89 deductible fee if you need to replace it. The other options are (in case something was to happen to your phone) purchasing a new BB Storm (full price is actually $499.99...you bought the phone at the discount price because you got a new contract), purchasing a cheap phone at full price, buying a phone from ebay or craigslist, or activating an old VZW if you have one.
0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3
New insurance for advanced devices (includes any device with a full HTML browser) is $7.99 a month and now have a $89.00 deductible.
0 Likes
aaaall
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have my verizon account for 10 years, first 5 years I bought insurance but never claimed for anything. One day I dropped my phone in the ocean when I pulled the anchor off my boat. I can't get the police report but anyway, I paid $50 to get the phone.  Next day, I received the refurbished phone Dead on Arrival. I called them to give them 2 choices: refund my $50 deductible and give me a brand new phone FedEx next day standard. Or I cancel my plan (cuz I paid insurance for 5 yrs, plus every month I paid at least couple hundred $ for over minutes which I used for business and that time VW did not have unlimited minute plan). They were fair enough to send me brand new phone with out deductible. I didn't think insurance works for me, so I cancelled it until now.  Last year, I broke the screen on my phone when I carry the big speaker for the show, but i didn't have insurance. I went to verizon, they exchange for me almost free (paid small cost), to get the refurbished phone with warranty.  Overall, verizon have a good network compare to att, tmobile etc.. they have a good service, but they have very poor technical support and "Not good" phone compare to others. This is my own opinion!!
0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

If you break a phone or device, and have the insurance, when you report it to VZW to get a replacement, you pay the deductable, and unless you specify you want a brand new phone and not a refurb, then they will send you a referb. When you call to get it replaced, you have to specify that you want a brand new device.

0 Likes
bikeguy

"New insurance for advanced devices (includes any device with a full HTML browser) is $7.99 a month and now have a $89.00 deductible"

Didn't realize the cost had gone up a couple of weeks back.  I have had mine for a few months now so I am on the old coverage.

0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2
Oh wow, I didn't know it went up either. I'm on the old insurance plan as well, as I've had my insurance for about a year now. Even though it went up, I'd still say yes get it, it's worth it.
0 Likes
lowrance
Contributor - Level 2
I just switched to State Farm $39 a year, with $100 deductable and you get a new device no refurbs
0 Likes