Re: I am anxious for the 10.2 update...When will it be released?
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Anybody posted version number yet? I'm not seeing available update.

0 Likes
Rumley80
Enthusiast - Level 3

They are calling it 10.2.1.537.  My understanding is that it is 10.2.1.1925 with the 10.2.1.1899 radio.

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

No OTA, but BB Link had it, now it says I have latest. Not having any luck.

Blackberry update page locks at 96% downloaded. Total Bummer.

0 Likes
Rumley80
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Blackberry link is now showing version 1.2.1.31 is available???!!!!  What is up with Verizon??  Guess the other version was posted accidentally.  I will keep using the 1.2.1.537 and see what happens.

0 Likes
Rumley80
Enthusiast - Level 3

My mistake.  That update was for Blackberry Link only.  But I did get the OS update installed before it apparently disappeared.

0 Likes
samakm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lasina - Thank you for responding. Should this be a discussion directly with Blackberry?  What is odd is that so many are touting the wonderful benefits of 10.2.1.1925, and given that Blackberry needs to grow its base, one would think Blackberry would have pushed this into the marketplace by now.  IT departments and companies worldwide are abandoning Blackberry at an incredible pace.  Daily one reads about the iphone taking over corporate IT departments.  It's odd that this updated OS is being delayed, and the customers of Blackberry and Verizon are left without a proper system.

Question - If the delays continue, many of us would like to exchange our phones for another maker.  Is that possible?  No doubt had we known, many would have skipped buying this system originally.

Samakm

0 Likes
jlee7
Enthusiast - Level 3

From what I've heard, the 10.2.1 update was being pushed out, but now is not. BlackBerry releases OS updates to carriers for testing. The carriers then decide whether or not to release the update officially to their customers. I don't mind Verizon testing the updates and even skipping some. BlackBerry should get their act together and release an OS that doesn't require 4 updates to be good. I would much rather have one update with the 10.2.1 release than to have the 10.2.0 release. Sorry, but I can't fault Verizon for skipping the last update when a much better one has come out so soon after. With that being said, I still can't figure out what took Verizon so long to release the much needed 10.1 update. As to your question, if you can't wait for Verizon for the OS update, you are welcome to attempt to load a leaked OS to your device. Just understand that there are usually some bugs, but there is plenty of help to work most of them out. Also, I understand that loading an unofficial OS release to your device can void your warranty.

0 Likes
Irish_Blues
Enthusiast - Level 2

To think that Blackberry (or any other carrier) should "get it right" when it finally releases an update is silly.  Apple doesn't "have it right" when it releases an update; there's still bugs in iOS7.  Same with the latest version of Android.  The question is "how many bugs" and "are they serious?"  If "let's wait for a newer version that fixes everything" is your desired solution, then no version will ever get released because logically each succeeding version will either fix something that wasn't working correctly in a prior version, or will add new features that weren't available / weren't contemplated.

10.2.0.1803 was a stable release.  No, it wasn't perfect - but it fixed a slew of the problems that existed in 10.0 and 10.1, and other carriers around the world trusted it enough to say "let's roll it out for our customers."  However, Verizon never chose to push that update out. Does Verizon has to release every version made available?  No, especially if testing says "there's a problem here that the manufacturer didn't catch" - but when other carriers are rolling an updated version out and Verizon doesn't, ... well, it would be nice to get an explanation why.  Instead, VZW either did the "I dunno" shoulder shrug, or kept pretending that 10.2 didn't exist, evidence otherwise.

On loading an unofficial OS and the phone warranty:  loading an unapproved OS may void the warranty for the software (or, the carrier may refuse to fix a software issue you then have; if you downgrade back to an approved OS, the carrier will never know the difference) - but if you load an unapproved OS and then drop the phone and the screen shatters, the warranty for the hardware is still perfectly valid.

0 Likes
Irish_Blues
Enthusiast - Level 2

A couple of points here:

1. .1925 was only available as a leaked version - not a carrier-certified one.  There were a couple of iterations of 10.2.1 (the first being .1055, then second being .1259) that people could load on and test; that's how the benefits of 10.2.1 were discovered.

2. Had BBRY pushed .1055 straight out, yes - it would have done most of the stuff .1925 does.  It also had a few bugs that needed to be worked out.  I have no problem with BBRY not pushing out the first version of 10.2.1 it put together; no one writes a program the 1st time and gets everything right, and getting feedback from people who loaded .1055 and .1259 and tried stuff out helped improve later versions.

3. IT departments are not "abandoning Blackberry at an incredible pace."  Yes, there are companies that have switched - but I also know of companies that switched to some other system, then switched back.  When someone else comes along with a system that DoD approves "as is" without any changes (Samsung has been trying this for a while, and still can't get it right), then we can talk about Blackberry having a major threat for enterprise security; until then, companies opting for someone else are rolling the dice and hoping they're not the first company to get its system hacked and exploited.

4. A comment about "the iphone taking over corporate IT departments" needs context.  With BYOD, it's no longer necessary to have a BBRY device; however, on a non-BBRY device you don't have nearly the same security.  Hell, even on the iPhone with "fingerprint scanning protection" that's still easily circumvented.  If I get your iPhone I can get in pretty quickly and have instant access to anything on your phone; you get my Z10, and you've got ten (10) chances to get the password right or the phone bricks permanently - and there's nothing you can do with that phone at that point.  Again, BBRY phones are the only DoD phones approved "as is" - all the others have to have major modifications to get allowed on the network.

5. The OS is "delayed" if you mean "now being held until Blackberry's announced release date of January 29."  If you want to blame Blackberry for that, go ahead - but if the 29th comes and goes and VZW doesn't release this, who will you blame?  You still have an BB10 OS that works, even if it doesn't give you everything 10.2.1 does.  If that's not good enough and you want 10.2.1.1925, go look for it and load it on - and then give it a few days to settle into the phone.

6. If you really don't like your BB10 phone, just trade it in already and be over with it.  It sounds like you're simply looking for an excuse to get rid of it; if so, just buck up and do it.  I suggest you have some patience and actually give this a shot.  If "they're not giving me the update as fast as I want" is your biggest problem, I have no idea how you'll handle Apple (which doesn't get updated any more often than BB10) or Android (roughly 6-9 months - provided you have a phone that isn't hard-programmed to refuse updates).

JPD217

What I don't get is the fact that we have 3 Z10's on the same account, the new software was pushed to my wife and daughters phones but not to mine. Really? I could understand only pushing it out to certain regions, but only to 2 of 3 phones on the same account? Is Verizon trying to piss people off?

0 Likes