Re: GPS-Storm Vs Droid... I HAVE A DREAM
poppajeff
Well...I 'preciate all of the feedback...but I'm not there yet. When i had VZNav enabled, all of those apps worked as you have all described. ow that I canceled VZNAV, neither Google maps, BBerry maps, weatherbug, or any other app can get my current position, only Google maps can even attempt, and it informs me that since it cannot access a satellite, it is only accurate to within approx 3000 feet. for weatherbug, it will give me weather for any place i enter a location for, but not for "my location". I wonder if all of you who are saying there is no problem getting a location have VZNav enabled, hence are paying the $9.95/month...of course i can input a location in any of these apps and go from there. suretypebandit...did you have VZNav enabled when you used Google maps in NY... if you dont have VZN, PLEASE INFORM ME AS TO HOW YOU GET ANY NAVIGATION FROM Google maps, or are you only getting a map and a route based on a start point and end point you manually enter. thanks for the feedback jeff
0 Likes
SureTypeBandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

poppajeff wrote:
Well...I 'preciate all of the feedback...but I'm not there yet. When i had VZNav enabled, all of those apps worked as you have all described. ow that I canceled VZNAV, neither Google maps, BBerry maps, weatherbug, or any other app can get my current position, only Google maps can even attempt, and it informs me that since it cannot access a satellite, it is only accurate to within approx 3000 feet. for weatherbug, it will give me weather for any place i enter a location for, but not for "my location". I wonder if all of you who are saying there is no problem getting a location have VZNav enabled, hence are paying the $9.95/month...of course i can input a location in any of these apps and go from there. suretypebandit...did you have VZNav enabled when you used Google maps in NY... if you dont have VZN, PLEASE INFORM ME AS TO HOW YOU GET ANY NAVIGATION FROM Google maps, or are you only getting a map and a route based on a start point and end point you manually enter. thanks for the feedback jeff

When i was in NYC i did not have VZ Nav enabled.  I havent had that in months. When i open google maps it gives my position and as i move...the dot on the map moves with me.  Whether i was in NYC...or im in my hometown....  

I can map out a route and it will follow me...or i can just have the locater on me and it will move with me.  

0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Jeff, I don't even have VZ Nav installed on my Storm and Google maps me just fine.  Occasionally there is lag in pinpointing your exact location but if you give it a few mins it will track you down.  The first thing it does is give you a general location within X amount of meters before it actually pinpoints your location.  Have you tried waiting to see if it acquire your exact location before closing out of the program?  Have you checked all the settings to make sure everything is enabled for information exchange?  One thing that just popped into my head, is your location set to "on" or "911 only?"  This could be affecting you too.  Let us know.

0 Likes
poppajeff
Hey Lowflyer, I have had the storm about 4 months now. At first I was traveling, on vacation, and had VZNav. At that time all my apps that used GPS were fine, including google maps, bberry maps, weatherbug, etc. when i returned home i cancelled VZNav. since then, none of my apps can locate me with any precision. As you indicated, when i open google maps, it says within 3600 meters (about 2 miles) and then does get a better location, but never better than about 1/4-1/2 mile if i am standing still. today i was on the interstate and decided to see what... it found me to within about 1 mile, but never got me close enough to be able to use as a nav tool, although if i knew were i was, it got me close enough to find myself on the map it gave me... my settings for gps are: GPSData source.......device gps gps services..............location on location aiding...........enabled my settings forgoogle maps are: permissions: connections.........allow interactions...........allow user data..........allow Hmmm...i just noticed that compatibility mode was disabled...enabled it, went out...no change, except maps open with keyboard and it wont hide...disabled compatibility and now its back to normal, still about 1/2 mile off. any suggestions would be 'preciated jeff
0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

poppajeff wrote:
Hey Lowflyer, I have had the storm about 4 months now. At first I was traveling, on vacation, and had VZNav. At that time all my apps that used GPS were fine, including google maps, bberry maps, weatherbug, etc. when i returned home i cancelled VZNav. since then, none of my apps can locate me with any precision. As you indicated, when i open google maps, it says within 3600 meters (about 2 miles) and then does get a better location, but never better than about 1/4-1/2 mile if i am standing still. today i was on the interstate and decided to see what... it found me to within about 1 mile, but never got me close enough to be able to use as a nav tool, although if i knew were i was, it got me close enough to find myself on the map it gave me... my settings for gps are: GPSData source.......device gps gps services..............location on location aiding...........enabled my settings forgoogle maps are: permissions: connections.........allow interactions...........allow user data..........allow Hmmm...i just noticed that compatibility mode was disabled...enabled it, went out...no change, except maps open with keyboard and it wont hide...disabled compatibility and now its back to normal, still about 1/2 mile off. any suggestions would be 'preciated jeff

It sounds like all your settings are as they should be.....I noticed you mostly use google, have you recently tried BB maps??  I just opened my BB maps and within 10 seconds, it put me right at my house.  Google on the other hand is taking quite a while to pinpoint me, but now that it has, it's pretty much showing me right here in my bedroom and I'm on a 1/3 of an acre which is mapped out on google with square lines and it literally shows me within what looks like a few feet my exact location on my property.

My suggestion would be to backup your phone and maybe reload your OS, what OS are you running by the way??  .328??  If you're not familiar with that you can take it into the store and tell them about your gps issue and they can do it for you, I would suggest you back up at home first just in case.  I don't know if when you deleted VZ Nav it deleted some other stuff with it or what.  I hope this help, please let us know how it goes.

0 Likes
poppajeff
I'm using .328, tried bbmaps, just keeps searching for satellite...i tried amaze...heard good things...no luck there either. i had this problem before and after i updated to .328...it seems that without vznav paid for, verizon has the gps shut down... thanks for the advice... jeff
0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

poppajeff wrote:
.it seems that without vznav paid for, verizon has the gps shut down... thanks for the advice... jeff

Again, I don't even have VZ Nav installed and mine works fine, has to be an issue with your handset.  Again, I would try a wipe and reload of the OS and if that doesn't work, take it into the store for warranty replacement.  BTW.....are you getting full 3g??  1XEV <---all capital like that??

0 Likes
poppajeff
yep, 1XEV, all caps. headed to the local vz store this PM, good thing i know the route and wont need GPS... :smileyhappy: THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, I'LL POST IF IT GETS RESOLVED jeff
0 Likes