Fluctuating signal on Tour
JPPark

I have the Tour with 4.7.1.40 and am having problems with fluctuating signals. I can be sitting at my desk in my office and have 4 bars then 0. If this happens during a call, the call gets dropped. The signal will usually come back in less than 30 secs.

Previous phone was 8830 and never had reception issues. The irony is, I'm sitting less than 1 mile from the Verizon facility in Irvine, Ca. Would have thought that they'd have some sort of antennae on the roof or something.

Has anybody else had this issue?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Fluctuating signal on Tour
pureplayaz44

Yeah I had the same problem....It would go from 5 to 0 bars.  Called VZW Blackberry Tech support and they had me look at some numbers on my phone and I had an old PRL number, which causes this.  Took it to the store, they reflashed the phone and it works great.  Just take it to the local store and let them know whats going on, they should be able to fix it.  Mention the PRL issue.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

JPPark wrote:

I have the Tour with 4.7.1.40 and am having problems with fluctuating signals. I can be sitting at my desk in my office and have 4 bars then 0. If this happens during a call, the call gets dropped. The signal will usually come back in less than 30 secs.

Previous phone was 8830 and never had reception issues. The irony is, I'm sitting less than 1 mile from the Verizon facility in Irvine, Ca. Would have thought that they'd have some sort of antennae on the roof or something.

Has anybody else had this issue?

Hi, JP,

On your Tour, dial *228 and select option 2.  This should improve your signal.

Doc

0 Likes
JPPark

Hi Pure and StreetDoc,

I took Pure's advise and took the phone into the VZ store. After the condescending rep tried to tell me that I'm imagining things, she got me on the phone with a tech support person. The tech went through phone settings, discovered that the Home SID setting was off and missing password. After setting and saving the small black clock, like the hourglass on a pc, kept coming up. Then the signal went from 5 bars to 2 bars, in the store with the tech on the phone.

He said that he had seen the fluctuating signal problem once before. He gave me two options: 1) hard reset 2) reinstall OS. Decided that hard reset would not change anything since this is how the phone's always been. He is supposed to call me to walk me through reinstall.

With the previous fluctuating signal problem, they also did a reinstall.

I will keep you updated.

Thank you.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Dialing *228 and option 2 is updating the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) of the phone. 

Doc

0 Likes