Device from different CDMA carrier
jimlung

I have been gven a Blackberry 9630 Tour which was originally on Telus (a Canadian CDMA service provider).  How do I go about using this with my Verizon service?

Thanks,

Jim

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Device from different CDMA carrier
2_BCs
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am sure that one of the Verizon reps will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that verizon will activate a phone from another carrier on their CDMA Network.

0 Likes
M91-30
Contributor - Level 1

as I understand it, they need to have software for that phone, then put the verizon software on that phone. aslong as you do this, it would technically be a verizon phone at that point.

0 Likes
jimlung

Do you think I can just goto any Verizon store have them install the software?  Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

It needs to be flashed. Here's a page outlining the general process. You can find more info by doing a search, maybe look for threads on Howard Forums.

Understand that this can brick your phone, so it's at your own risk. However, if the Tour is unusable to you right now, you don't have much to lose ... except you could sell this one and buy a Verizon model.

http://mark.cdmaforums.com/HowToFlash.htm

Good luck! Let us know if you try it.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

jimlung wrote:

I have been gven a Blackberry 9630 Tour which was originally on Telus (a Canadian CDMA service provider).  How do I go about using this with my Verizon service?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Your question has been asked a lot of times around the internet on various forums.  I found this article at http://www.unlockblackberry.org/news.htm that hints at your question.  Although the article is a couple of years old, it still answers the question.  Basically, your Blackberry from Telus would have to be unlocked.  A lot of users think the SIM card is the key to unlocking.  On CDMA phones such as Telus and Verizon, the phone doesn't even need the SIM card, unless you are traveling overseas and accessing those GSM networks.  You need Telus to release that CDMA MEI number.  Then, you would have to get Verizon to agree to activate that number on their network.  Chances are, they might not since it wasn't one of their phones.  Those are all questions you would need to just call Verizon's customer service and ask.  I bet if you agree to sign a contract for service, they would be more likely to agree.  Anyways, I hope that helps.

Doc

0 Likes
2_BCs
Enthusiast - Level 1

StreetDocRN wrote:

jimlung wrote:

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Your question has been asked a lot of times around the internet on various forums.  I found this article at http://www.unlockblackberry.org/news.htm that hints at your question.  Although the article is a couple of years old, it still answers the question.  Basically, your Blackberry from Telus would have to be unlocked.  A lot of users think the SIM card is the key to unlocking.  On CDMA phones such as Telus and Verizon, the phone doesn't even need the SIM card, unless you are traveling overseas and accessing those GSM networks.  You need Telus to release that CDMA MEI number.  Then, you would have to get Verizon to agree to activate that number on their network.  Chances are, they might not since it wasn't one of their phones.  Those are all questions you would need to just call Verizon's customer service and ask.  I bet if you agree to sign a contract for service, they would be more likely to agree.  Anyways, I hope that helps.

Doc

Doc,

If Jim were trying to use this phone on a GSM carrier then I would agree with you completely as Unlocking

the phone would allow him to use a SIM card from a carrier other than the carrier that issued the phone. 

In the case of a GSM phone, the SIM contains the info which the phone uses to register with the network.  That is why when I was on ATT, I could take my ATT SIM from my Krazr, and install it in my Mom's Nokia from ATT, and then when someone called my number, the Nokia would ring.  The same would have been true if I were to have put it into an unlocked phone from another carrier.  Unlocking has no effect on CDMA phones with CDMA carriers, as the IMEI number is used for registration and it is permanantly programmed into the phone.  In this case, the real challange would be getting Verizon to activate a phone from another carrier on their network.  I haven't tried to do this myself, but have talked with some on other forums who have, and they weren't able to get verizon to do it either with or without contract.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

2_BCs wrote:

In this case, the real challange would be getting Verizon to activate a phone from another carrier on their network.  I haven't tried to do this myself, but have talked with some on other forums who have, and they weren't able to get verizon to do it either with or without contract.

Hi,

I totally agree with you on this.  I don't believe they will in part because they probably want to sell a phone. 

Doc

0 Likes
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon agent will message you shortly.
0 Likes
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon agent will message you shortly.
0 Likes