Can you "tether" a blackberry using Bluetooth to access internet?
SciMan

I frequently tether my blackberry to my laptop so that I can get access to the internet in the classroom for streaming videos for my science class (School district blocks all streaming video on their connection), using my data plan.

I would like to do the same thing using the Bluetooth dongle, and cut down on the wires. It seems like it would work but I cannot find success.  Anybody done it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can you "tether" a blackberry using Bluetooth to access internet?
Blacklisted
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, you are not able to utilize any Bluetooth signal to enable any internet data transmission.  

0 Likes
KarenT

SciMan:

what do I need to use my Blackberry to run my laptop?  Thx!

0 Likes
ifly4fun

Yes, You can tether using bluetooth. Once you pair your BB to your laptop it will create a DUN connection that uses the bluetooth connection as the modem just like when you use the USB cable. One key thing to note: Your speeds will be extremely slow compared to the USB connection. The Bluetooth spec max's out at 700K, when I've used it my typical speed tests ran closer to 200-300K. Using the USB connection they were always well over 1mb, sometimes closer to 2mb.

So the answer is yes, you can, but for the sake of speed I would definitely stick to the USB connection

0 Likes
ifly4fun

KarenT,

You just need Blackberry Desktop Manager (Running in the background) and your BB connected to the laptop (Preferably using the USB Cable, but it can be via Bluetooth). It will create a DUN (Dial-Up Network Connection, Remember the old days?) and you may need to input the settings:

Number to Dial: #777

username: <10digitnumber>@vzw3g.com

password: vzw

You will also need a "tethering" option added to your data plan.

0 Likes