Bold 9650 with OS 6 and Random Reboots
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

I upgraded like many of you to the latest official OS for the 9650, version 6.0.0.431.  I have been experiencing random reboots, at least 4 or 5 per day.  I was wondering if any of you are experiencing the same thing?  Usually, random reboots are caused by some 3rd party application, but I am having a hard time figuring out which one it can be.  I think it might be either Facebook or Weatherbug causing the reboot.  Not sure, but wanted to get your input.  If you are experiencing random reboots with this OS, let me know.

Doc

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bold 9650 with Random Reboots
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

I just wanted to update this thread on the status of my device since loading the latest OS 6 v 6.0.0.524 a couple of days ago.  The install was flawless and my device is running smoothly.  I believe the random reboots are a thing of the past.

First, if you have waited to upgrade your Bold's software, go ahead and do so.  This is a very stable software release.  The reboots never occurred and a breath of fresh air was breathed into my device.  It runs smoothly and snappier since the upgrade.  I maintain a constant 3G signal with no dropped calls.  The native browser works nicely, however, I do use the latest Opera Mini Version 6 Update 1 on my Bold.  I prefer the Opera Mini browser just because it loads pages faster.  Other features include an updated calendar and of course the new OS 6 interface.  I realize some of you may not care for the OS 6 interface and prefer the old OS 5, so to you I say, stay with what works for you.  My battery drain is minimal, no more than with the last OS 5 software release.  As a matter of fact, I went to work last night with a fully charged device and came home with about 75% remaining on my battery.  I did not make many calls last night, but I did answer a few emails and surfed the web a bit. 

In summary, I am going to mark this thread as having a solution found.  I firmly believe the first OS 6 release from Verizon had a poorly written radio file, thus causing my device to lose connectivity with the network and causing the random reboots.  This was resolved with the .524 OS release.  I hope this thread helps some of you who had the same problems.  Thanks.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Bold 9650 with OS 6 and Random Reboots
pjones59

I'm experiencing the same thing, have already had 5 or 6 reboots today.   I've tried a number of things including a 5-minute battery pull, repeat battery pulls, etc.  

0 Likes
leeford54
Enthusiast - Level 3

Doc you and I upgraded about the same time and both used DM. Only difference is I have no 3rd party applications and I have not had any reboots or issues. Hope I didn't just jinx myself lol. Suppose it could be the Opera beta?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

leeford54 wrote:

Doc you and I upgraded about the same time and both used DM. Only difference is I have no 3rd party applications and I have not had any reboots or issues. Hope I didn't just jinx myself lol. Suppose it could be the Opera beta?

Hey,

leeford54 you have a good point and that is what I was looking for, whether or not it could be an app causing the problem.  At this point, it is hard to tell which one is the culprit.  It very well could be the Opera beta version.  I had no problems with OS 5 and running it, but it might be a conflict with the OS 6. 

I am going to spend the next hour wiping my device and reloading OS 6 back onto my Bold.  This time, I will not add any 3rd party apps for a couple of days to see how things go.  After that, I will add 1 app per day to see which one it might be causing the problem.  Just a process of elimination.  I will update y'all on my progress in this thread.  Thanks for all the replies.

Doc

0 Likes
leeford54
Enthusiast - Level 3

cool please do. I've been considering Opera but will wait at this point

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I have been back up and running with OS 6 for the past 2 hours and so far, so good.  No reboots to report.  I will give it until tomorrow afternoon and that will let me know.  All I have are the apps that come stock on OS 6.  I will give it a couple of days before I add anything.  I have averaged about 4 reboots per day and it was getting old. 

Doc

0 Likes
MotleyLou

I'm just upgrading to OS 6 now. I also use Facebook and WeatherBug...will let you know if I get the same issues. Out of curiosity, should your problem be the Opera Beta, please let us know.

Thanks,

Lou

0 Likes
MotleyLou

OK...Upgrade complete. No reboot's yet. But what I did notice...some of my preloaded app/icons got doubled? Any tips how to delete either one or all so they don't come back again? I had a Curve last, and everytime I "removed" something, after an update or over time, the Icon would come back. This is my third day with my new Bold

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

MotleyLou wrote:

OK...Upgrade complete. No reboot's yet. But what I did notice...some of my preloaded app/icons got doubled? Any tips how to delete either one or all so they don't come back again? I had a Curve last, and everytime I "removed" something, after an update or over time, the Icon would come back. This is my third day with my new Bold

Hey,

Probably what happened on the "pushed" icons for apps is that when you reloaded your OS, you probably restored the Service Book.  Then, after your device was connected to the network, it got pushed a couple of those icons again, resulting in duplicate icons.  In my case, it was the icon for VCast Apps.  I went into Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Service Book and found that I did have the VCast Apps listed twice.  I deleted one of those entries and one of the duplicate icons disappeared.  Now, you could delete all of those pushed icons in the Service Books, but they will reappear after a few hours.  The Service Book is continually updated during the day.  It connects with the network, looking for updates and it will put those pushed apps back.  The only solution is to hide those apps.  I just made a folder called pushed apps and moved all of thosed pushed apps into that folder.  I hope this helps.

By the way, no reboots since reloading my OS yesterday afternoon.  That is good.  I will load Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 and let it run for 24 hours and see if I get reboots.

Doc

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

I loaded the Opera 5 Beta 2 on my device.  After just one hour, my device rebooted twice on its own.  Obviously, it is the Opera Mini app causing the reboots, just as leeford54 thought.  I deleted the app from my device and suggest anyone running OS 6 to do the same if you have it installed.  The Opera 5 beta 2 does work well with OS 5.  I had it on my Bold for about 7 months and used it with no reboots ever.  It must be an OS 6 compatibility problem.  The Opera Mini 5.1 that is the latest version does not work with any of the devices with a trackpad.  It does however work well with the Curve 8330 and the Tour.  Those devices have the trackball.  Opera is aware of this problem and is working on correcting it on the next release, whenever that may be. 

If any of your run across an app that you think might be causing issues with OS 6, let me know here in this thread.  As for now, I am going to mark this thread as solution found.  I am giving leeford54 the credit for the solution since he pointed me in that direction.  Kudos points were awarded to others who responded to me also.  Thanks to all who responded.  Good luck.

Doc

0 Likes