Bold 9650 and OS 6.0.0.222
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

I loaded the 6.0 OS that was leaked a couple of days ago to see what differences are between 5.0 and 6.0 OS.  It is like night and day.  Here are some of my findings.

The overal layout is nice.  Everything is customizable for the user to be able to navigate quicker and easily.  The biggest change is the web browser, in my opinion.  Everyone wanted a browser that was better.  RIM answered with the 6.0 webkit.  Pages load faster and more realistic like on a PC.  Users now have the option of multiple windows to move between web pages.  This is similar to Opera's browser.  A lot of users testing the 6.0 OS on the 9650 have stated they had problems getting the browser to work on the mobile network, only working on WiFi.  This was because of some software problems with the service book, but thanks to Driphter.com, a fix was found.  This problem will be fixed when the official versions are released soon by Verizon and Sprint.  Another big change is the signal strength.  A lot of Bold users complained that the latest 9650 release had problems with the signal dropping calls, especially while driving down the road.  RIM seems to have fixed that problem.  Another problem users commented on was the low volume of the ringer and some other sounds on the 5.0 OS for the Bold.  Mark that problem solved with 6.0.  The default ringer is very loud.  As far as battery life, I can not give a good answer yet because I just installed it less than 24 hours ago, so we will see.

So, there are a few of my observations of the latest 6.0.0.222 for the 9650 Bold.  I will remind you that running an OS that has not been officially released by a carrier,ie Verizon Wireless is not recommended, and may void your warranty.  At the least, if you ever had a problem, the first thing the CS reps will tell you to do is to install the latest official OS before they try to solve any problem you might be having.  I wanted to install this OS to become familiar with it so that when it is released I would be able to answer questions you might have.  Good luck, and thanks for reading this.  I hope this helps.

Doc

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Bold 9650 and OS 6.0.0.222---UPDATE
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

After running 6.0 OS for a couple of days, I have to admit I spent the past couple of hours rolling back to 5.0.  I will explain.  The 6.0 itself is great.  The web browser is awesome and the new interface is nice.  Some of the problems with signal issues and sound problems were fixed in 6.0.  However, many of the apps I use are not ready for 6.0 and would not run.  For example, I play an app called Lexulous which is a Scrabble-like game and it would not run under 6.0.  Also, Pandora and XM Radio Premium would not work.  It is not the fault of RIM, it is just a compatibility issue that I am sure the software vendors are working on now.  The software compatibility issue would be one of the main reasons I bet that 6.0 for the Bold or other compatible devices has not been released officially.  To sum up 6.0, I believe it will be worth the update when all of the compatibilty issues are fixed.  The features are great and I can hardly wait.  Until then...it's 5.0 for me for now.

Doc

0 Likes
fifthgear001
Enthusiast - Level 3

So what is Verizon's offical stance on something like this? I know they won't troubleshoot it or anything but does it really void your warranty if you don't use a Verizon offical OS release? Since it was mentioned it just has me wondering.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

fifthgear001 wrote:

So what is Verizon's offical stance on something like this? I know they won't troubleshoot it or anything but does it really void your warranty if you don't use a Verizon offical OS release? Since it was mentioned it just has me wondering.

They will not troubleshoot any apps that are not theirs and they will not honor the warranty on an OS that hasn't been released by them.

I questioned CS awhile back on hybrid OS's.  The supervisor said no but when I explained that hybird OS are still using their base OS and a combination of RIM OS files some being theirs, the supervisor said she would have to check on it and call me back.  That was few months ago and she never called back.  Guess it wasn't worth her time to be polite to a customer.

So I am sticking with my loaded hybrid OS on my Storm 2.  It runs better than ever!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

I guess I became bored over this weekend, so I decided to try installing 6.0.0.222 on my 9650 Bold.  This time, things went well and the install was a breeze.  The problem I had with compatability issues with certain apps was not there except for one program, Verizon's Visual Voice Mail.  All other programs installed no problems, but I could not get VVM to run.  It would not let me go past the initial acknowledge page for the end user's license agreement.  I may try loading YouMail's free Visual Voice Mail program and see if it will work.  Oh, well, at least I can save a few bucks on my Verizon bill each month. 

A lot of users had problems getting the 6.0 browser to work on the mobile network, but it would work on WiFi.  I found that instead of deleting the vendor.xml file as suggested when loading a leaked OS, leave the file in there and it works no problem on mobile network.  One thing I have noticed is reboot time.  Wow, it boots up in half the time of the previous operating systems.  The signal strength is good too.  No fluccuations noted.  I will comment on battery life later after I have let the phone run for a few days with my current settings. 

Anyways, I just wanted to pass along what I have found so far with the 6.0 OS.  Reminder, this is a leaked OS and by all means, if you do not feel comfortable running a leak, wait for the official release.  I do not know when that may be, but if you are interested in the leak and want to know more on how to get it, send me a private message here in the forums.  I'll be glad to help.  Thanks for reading this.

Doc

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

An update on my experience with 6.0 OS running on a Verizon Bold 9650.  First, let me say that OS 6 is completely different than 5.0.  There are so many new features, it just takes time to learn them all.  The new OS has a built-in feature for setting up Visual Voice Mail (VVM).  You do not need the VVM program from Verizon.  All you do is go into setup and setup the VVM there.  When you get a voice mail, it works just like the Verizon and YouMail applications for VVM.  So, VVM does work on 6.0.0.222.

Well, there you have it.  I have been putting my Bold through the paces with the new 6.0.  Signal issues are fixed, VVM works, SMS and MMS works great, and instant messaging works great.  I am sure there are going to be some apps that will have problems running on the new OS, just like we had problems when 5.0 was introduced.  Overall, 6.0 is a great change and makes your device run smooth.   Again, if any of you should have a question or problem, call upon me.  You know what they say, "two heads are better than one." 

Doc

0 Likes
Re: Bold 9650 and OS 6.0.0.222
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
Thanks so much for the useful info! I've been wondering whether 6.0 is a substantial improvement, especially in regards to browsing.
0 Likes
Re: Bold 9650 and OS 6.0.0.222
NickJacobs

It is a improvement, just takes a little learning curve, but the search feature is great! The browser is nice which is the biggest improvement. I just hope when 6.0 releases it includes Adobe Flash! Ringtones are different and not as many as 5.0 has. Other then that Im ready for a final release hopefully soon!

0 Likes
Re: Bold 9650 and OS 6.0.0.xxx Updated Info
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

For those of you wondering about the 6.0 OS for the Bold, I thought I would update you on my experiences over the past few weeks.  I had originally upgraded my Bold 9650 to a leaked 6.0.0.222.  It ran fairly well but after putting it through the paces, I found that the radio signal would drop calls or fluccuate.  I also had a problem with random reboots of my device.  This can be chalked up to being a leaked version and not official, I don't know.  All I do know is that my device was not operating to my satisfaction, so I downgraded.  I did upgrade this past week to the 5.0.0.975 official Verizon release.  This is a very stable OS with the problems with PTT and signal issues fixed.  My battery life is great.  Usually, I would go from 100% down to about 20% in about 14 hours.  Now, I drop only to about 70% in the same amount of time.  I attribute this to a good radio file that locks in on a 3G signal and does not fluccuate.  Fluccuations in signal will cause excessive battery drain.  A leaked version of 6.0.0.280 for the Bold 9650 was released over the internet a couple of weeks ago but I did not install it.  There were massive problems with that version, mainly with radio signal issues.  Most Bold users I know who tried the .280 went back to either the 6.0.0.222 or to the 5.0.0.975. 

In summary, the 6.0 is not quite ready for prime time.  I strongly believe the problems discussed above are some of the reasons Verizon has not released the 6.0 as of yet for the Bold.  They are working with RIM on getting the 6.0 ready, so all I can say is be patient.  We will get the 6.0 and it will be a good stable release.  I just wanted to dig this post up and update you on my experience with the 6.0 so you can be informed.  I hope this helps some of you in case you were wondering about the 6.0 OS. 

Sincerely,

Doc

0 Likes