Blackberry Storm Tactile Screen Issues
Oxym0r0n

I've had my Storm since December and love it overall. The tactile screen that was touted as such a great feature, however, has stopped working. It no longer clicks when pressed and the screen must be pressed quite hard and repeatedly to get the handset to respond. When I phoned VZW they were happy to ship a replacement out immediately. I was quite satisfied until I opened the box and realized that I was sent a refurbished phone that most likely will have the same manufacturer defect as my current one.

Has anyone else had a similiar problem and did the refurbished phone resolve it? Also, does anyone know if the policy of replacing the defective handsets with refurbished units is that of RIM or Verizon Wireless?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Storm Tactile Screen Issues
Amoeba
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's usually policy for ANY business to trade a waranteed, defective unit for a refurbished one. Had you taken it back within the 30 days guarantee window, then yes, expect a new one.

However, in my experience with refurbished electronic devices. Have you ever bought a used car? It's the same thing. The device will work.

Why do you assume the refurbished phone will fail too?

0 Likes
Oxym0r0n

Warranties from many large, reputable companies such as Apple or Sony state that manufacturers defects will be replaced with 'new or refurbished products' at the descretion of the company, not refurbished ONLY. Microsoft has replaced problematic XBOX consoles with brand new units to resolve defects so refurbished is not the rule.

I'm not certain that a used car is a great analogy...buying a used car can be like playing Russian roulette. Some work, some don't.

Being that the screen issue is a manufacturer defect (fairly wide spread based on other posting boards) and refurbishing is simply 'polishing' an old unit with replacement parts I would certainly expect the same problem. A manufacturing defect cannot typically be fixed by simply replacing the same part that caused the issue in the first place.

0 Likes
stormguy69
[word filter avoidance] ya u spend ur hard earned $$$ and they send u another persons junk device ya some verizon your problem becomes our problem oh and the  were not happy unless u are i argued with them all i said was that and guess what i got a new device in a sealed box like the original but i told the i was gonna report the to the better buisiness buro !!! i had at&t all carriers do the same thing but dont tell you they ship out a refurbished one sometimes they dont send the exact phone due to none in stock they will send u a compadable device.. dont except that GET A ORIGINAL OR YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES SOONER THAN U THINK ...good luck:smileywink: i wouldnt mind the screen clicking gone i hate that but if there was a setting to off and on on that feature
Message Edited by WendyM on 04-25-2009 12:53 PM
0 Likes
stormguy69
refurbs ALWAYS FAIL like u said its like buying a used car or like forest gump said its like a box of chocolates u dont know what u gonna get!! but i always had bad luck on refurbs u get some elses problems along with ur old ones
0 Likes