Blackberry Bold "freaking out"
GaryA73
Contributor - Level 1

I was recently issued a Blackberry Bold by my employer.  Every once in a while, it will start "freaking out," going into multiple menus on its own, calling people, etc.  I am guessing it has something to do with the trackpad (is that what it is called?)?   The only thing I can try to do is keep hitting the "hang up" button so it stops calling or doing other things.  Eventually it stops, after I do a soft reboot.  I just did a battery pull to stop it (it just happened again about ten minutes ago).

My biggest concern is that it is going in and changing settings and/or signing me up for additional things that may be prohibited by my employer.

Can anyone share any advice as to how I should proceed?

Thanks,

Gary A

<< Full name removed to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Bold "freaking out"
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Yeah, that's not a comfortable feeling. Here are a few things you can try, from the simplest to most complicated:

• Adjust the trackpad settings to a lower sensitivity by going into Options.
  • Back up all your info using Desktop software, do a security wipe, then restore your data and settings through Desktop. Add apps back one by one to make sure there's not a conflict somewhere.
  • Wipe and reload the operating system. Since it's a company BB, you may have to get permission or maybe your IT department will do it for you.
0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

The two primary causes that come to mind for this type of problem are apps and hardware. 

Does the problem only occur after/during using a specific application?  If so, that application could be corrupted and would need to be deleted and/or reinstalled.  Did the problem start after installing a new app (another warning sign).

If the problem is truly related to the trackpad, then it would be a hardware issue and the best solution would be to return the device for a warranty replacement.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

0 Likes
GaryA73
Contributor - Level 1

Hope this helps anyone else with the same issues.  I did what was advised, I adjusted the trackpad settings.  That did not seem to help the issue that much, and it actually eventually got even worse.  I contacted our telecom provider, and they suggested I wipe the phone.  That also did not work, and ended up being a headache, because I had to contact IT to get back on the enterprise server, and have our proprietary client software pushed back to my phone.  The only app I had added to the phone was our client software, everything else was stock.

What did help?  Well, I downloaded the Blackberry Desktop software, plugged my phone in, and upgraded it to the latest version of the operating system.  Not a single problem since then.  That was one of SydneyK's original suggestions, I wish I had followed that one first.  Our enterprise server prohibits over-the-air upgrading, but the standard upgrading method worked fine.  It could have had something to do with not being officially registered with the server, but either way, I am just happy that the phone is fixed.  Thanks for the suggestions, guys!  Glad to have a working phone!

Gary

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Great news, Gary! Thanks for helping others by posting the solution. Have a great day.

0 Likes