Re: Blackberry Bold 9650 release date!--It's Here...
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

SuzyQ wrote:

Hmmmmm, time for me to jump into the world of Blackberry?  My annual upgrade is available.....you Blackberry fans think this one would be a good introductory phone to start on?

Suzy, you should know how much I love my Blackberry. I think it wins hands down when it comes to handling message and calendar integration. RIM has made big steps forward with threaded messaging and better Gmail sync, and they have plans to improve Gmail sync to be on par with what Android has. Also I think Blackberry is the best keyboard experience on a mobile phone. You can't go wrong with Blackberry, it's a solid and stable (mostly) platform. The new Bold 9650 is a good choice because it's spec'd to be ready for OS 6.0 and OpenGL for enhanced graphics support. 

However, in the last month I've really fallen in love with Android because of the Incredible. The power of the operating system is truly amazing and it's only going to keep getting better. Android is going to branch out into tablets, netbooks, and other crazy things like in-car computers and appliances. 

It's really fun. The Incredible is an awesome phone. Yes it has it's glitches, but what phone doesn't. It should be expected that Android phones are prone to be glitchy because of their openness. But I'm having a lot of fun, and I'm excited to see where this is gonna go. Especially with LTE on the way. 

Either way you go Suzy, I can recommend you some great apps to help improve your life. :smileywink:

0 Likes
gabby3

Re Incredible -

I have read lots of complaints (on line) about bad reception - in places where a BBerry worked fine. Any truth?

Also - can you see the screen in bright sunshine?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Suzy,

I can tell you only from my experience with Blackberry.  My wife and I both have Tours.  We got ours last August and have never had any problems.  My wife is still running 4.7 OS because she says, "It's working fine now, why fix it if it isn't broken."  I can't argue with her.  However, mine is running the latest Verizon OS just fine.  We both had 8130 Pearls before that and they were great little phones.  Obviously moving up to the Tour was big, just in having a larger screen and more memory.  As far as basic features, email, calendar, etc. all Blackberry devices perfrom the same functions.  The Tour and Bold just has more horsepower to "get 'er dun."  We still have about 8 months until our ability to upgrade occurs.  For now, we will stick with the Tour.  I do have several co-workers who have Android phones and they love them.  I agree with Nmchileman that the Android is only going to get better and might surprise a lot of folks.  But as far as the new Bold, I think that would be a great Blackberry to start with.  I predict right here that if you get one you will fall in love with Blackberry Messenger.  I have a group in BBM with several other nurses and paramedics who all chit chat about one thing after another and it helps to relieve stress.  I also have added a few folks from here in the forums and we chit chat about different things related to the forums or just anything else.  LCromwell and I have become really good friends on BBM.  He has become pretty saavy with his Storm.  Anyways, just my 2 cents worth.  Have a great weekend.

Doc

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

UBS_Sucks wrote:

Re Incredible -

I have read lots of complaints (on line) about bad reception - in places where a BBerry worked fine. Any truth?

Also - can you see the screen in bright sunshine?

Yes. Reception is noticebly weaker on this device. It is a known issue. I get 1-2 bars where my Blackberry gets 3-5 bars. However, it hasn't impaired the phone's ability to make and keep a clear call connected. Not in my experience anyway. It's the 3G speed that takes a big drop when you only have 1 bar.

Yes. It can be difficult to view the screen in bright, direct sunshine. In shade you can see it fine. That's the trade off of having a high resolution AMOLED screen. Do you want high resolution, contrast and color clarity -- or a bright ugly screen? I purchased the anti-glare screen protector from Seidio.com and it has helped a great deal.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Great One:

Have you considered one of the Android phones? Verizon is coming out with 2 Motorola Android phones this August.

nmchileman:

You can't go wrong with Blackberry, it's a solid and stable (mostly) platform...However, in the last month I've really fallen in love with Android because of the Incredible...

StreetDocRN:

I agree with Nmchileman that the Android is only going to get better and might surprise a lot of folks.  But as far as the new Bold, I think that would be a great Blackberry to start with.

So.....maybe I'll just wait till January when I get an NE2 discount and see what they Blackberry/Android terrain looks like, and play with both of them when I get the chance.

Thanks for the feedback!!

0 Likes