Re: Blackberry Bold 9650 OS 6 upgrade?????
kfa1217

Can you direct me to a reliable link to get the OS6 leak? I clicked on the above links and it just took me to a forum w/ so many posts I didn't know where to begin! Thanks in advance if you can!

0 Likes
7100jgc
Enthusiast - Level 1

It somewhat depends on what you want to do.   There is a distinction between 6.0.0.280 and 6.0.0.333, however I am not well versed in it.   I read numerous posts on numerous websites and finally decided to go with the 280 version as it was supposed to be stable (which it is) and some other distinctions which....I just don't recall.  Just using your favorite search engine is probably going to be your best bet.

Try starting off at the Crackberry site and going on from there.  Many sites no longer function for one reason or another and you may need to be open to going to a site that is likely based outside of the US, maybe somewhere in Europe.

You will also want to find the instructions on how to install it, once you find it (whatever "it" is!).   You might not need to use the DM program and you might have to perform some other "tweaks".

I was quite hesitant about doing all of that and it just got to the point where I could no longer deal with the poor browser, and, given all of the positive feedback on the new 6.0 feedback, I had to make the switch.  I am happy that I did.

The other option might be to go into one of the Verizon stores and pick up the 6.0 Brochure and then wait, and wait, and wait (maybe even until next Christmas) to see when an official version comes out.

Good luck!

0 Likes
redwizard69

www.blackberryforums.com......go to the thread" Beta you than me...."

0 Likes
PROB1

I've tried most if not all of the 6.0 leaks, but ended up back at 5.0.0.975 waiting for Verizon to release a 6.0 that is tested and approved.  Will it be perfect, probably not, but it should be better than the freak things that happens with the leaks.  The last one I tried was .333 I believe.  Worked great for a few weeks, them out of nowhere I started randomly loosing my service. My 2cents is wait for the official or a better leak.

0 Likes
kfa1217

PROB1 wrote:

I've tried most if not all of the 6.0 leaks, but ended up back at 5.0.0.975 waiting for Verizon to release a 6.0 that is tested and approved.  Will it be perfect, probably not, but it should be better than the freak things that happens with the leaks.  The last one I tried was .333 I believe.  Worked great for a few weeks, them out of nowhere I started randomly loosing my service. My 2cents is wait for the official or a better leak.

You are probably more than right PROB1 - I just want my phone to work correctly and am sick of having to do a battery pull in the middle of the day or the phone freezing as a take a pic and try to upload to Facebook . . . how long can we wait. The Bold 9650 is the one phone that is upgradable to the new OS but dang at this rate it will be time for my NE2 and I might go to Droid at that time...just getting aggravating!

Happy New Year everyone!

0 Likes
PROB1

No arguments from me. When my Tour died "the slow trackball death" and Verizon would only replace it with another Tour, a device they had decided was crap months before then, I went and bought a Bold out of pocket so I wouldn't be stuck in crapville for ever.  And yet we all still wait, with the only device that was ready for prime time, when they were first talking about 6.0.  Yes I am a little bitter that selling new devices is more important than taking care of those who have kept you on top for all these years.  That being said though, with the options we have out there I think we are better off waiting a while.

And you also are right and I missed it earlier,

Happy New Year, may it bring new promise and prosperity to all of us!

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Probably won't see OS 6 until Verizon releases there NEW Blackberry Devices, and then maybe a month or two after that we will get it. It's all about MONEY. They hope you'll get tired of waiting and buy the NEW device. It's called Marketing and Verizon is the best at it. Always Last to release a new update, Got to test it they say, Well for being number one, They should be the first to release you would think. There Software Dept. Definitely Isn't number one.

0 Likes
7100jgc
Enthusiast - Level 1

One thing that I have discovered over the years is that a cell phone isn't necessarily that much different from a PC.   It relies on software, both operating and applications.   It can also be backed up and restored when necessary.

Before upgrading to a leaked version of OS 6.0, I was also getting extremely impatient with Verizon.   The number of leaked versions made little sense to me.   Why or how could something that is designed for a particular model (and written by RIM) be out in the puplic domain, unless they wanted to see people find a way to beta test and get feedback.

So I finally gave up on waiting, did as much backing up as I could, and gave it a try.   Since then, I have been very happy with having made the switch and I never once considered restoring to the 5.0 version. 

I did alot of extensive reading beforehand.  It was my understanding that installing the leaked version would not impact the warranty.  Plus the fact that as with any other computer like device, I was able to always go back to 5.0.   I use my phone for everything.  It is my primary business and personal device.   All calls are forwarded to my phone.  I say this because I did not take the switch lightly.   I truly needed a better browser.

Does the phone now operate or look like an iPhone or Android phone?  No, but it is reliable and does what I want it to do.  I finally found out the trick to installing Skype....download it over the 3G network and turn off the wireless.  Then it installed fine.

For those that are wanting to wait, I hope you have good patience.  However, in my opinion, you have nothing to lose in trying out a leaked version except an investment in time. When the 5.0.975 upgrade came out, I was really annoyed because I had to deal with application passwords, registrations reload, etc., which I did not anticipate and that was very frustrating.  However, with the leaked install of OS 6.0.0.280, I was pleasantly surprised that EVERYTHING worked with no need to reinstall any of my apps.   So that's my New Year's spiel.   Happy New Year everyone!

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Never had a Verizon Release running on my Berries. Always had a leak or Hybrid running. Never had a problem, Just remember to delete the Vender File. You would think the #1 Carrier in the USA would be the FIRST to release the updates, But seems their Lacking in their Software Development Dept.

So, I agree, Load it up and enjoy, No big deal loading a Leak or Hybrid. You can always reinstall the original release.

0 Likes
embalmer35

I'm running 6.0.0.415 from Sprint's OS 6 leak......it works perfectly!

0 Likes