Blackberry 8330 no data plan?
dennisjara91

I don't know if this is true, but i heard that phones released before 11*14*2008 dont require a smartphone data plan? i've been dying to get a blackberry preferably an 8530, does that require a data plan?

so my next choice would be an 8330, question is, do i need a data plan to activate this? or can i just be on the talk and text or maybe occasionally use it on like the 9.99 data plan 25 mb?

and would you recommend the 8330? any comments on it would be appreciated

thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry 8330 no data plan?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

To answer your question, all Blackberry devices require the 3G Smartphone data plan, which is $29.99 for unlimited data.  The $9.99 plan is for 3G Multimedia phones.  If you just want to talk and text, consider getting one of Verizon's 3G Multimedia phones.  As far as Blackberry devices go, the 8350 is a better phone because of the trackpad.  The 8330 has the trackball, which is being phased out by RIM due to increasing problems.  I hope that answers your questions.

Doc

0 Likes
dennisjara91

but i thought they said smartphones that came out before november 14 didnt require a data plan?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

dennisjara91 wrote:

but i thought they said smartphones that came out before november 14 didnt require a data plan?

I have not heard that, but I will not disagree with you.  It is possible, but I will get the word from one of the Verizon folks.

Doc

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

dennisjara91 wrote:

StreetDocRN wrote:

I have not heard that, but I will not disagree with you.  It is possible, but I will get the word from one of the Verizon folks.

Doc

MorganB states in THIS THREAD:

Activations and upgrades to Smartphones that launched prior to 11/14/2008 do not require a data plan/feature of $29.99 or higher.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

Thanks to TheGreatOne for finding that post and helping us out on this one.

Doc

0 Likes
dennisjara91

thank the great one :smileyhappy: and doc.

so it is true? but i also heard that blackberry had an agreement with verzion that no matter what the release date of the blackberry was that it needed a data plan,

i want the blackberry curve 8330 released march 2008, so it shouldn't require a data plan right?

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

You would have to convince Verizon that the 8330 does not require the data plan.  Keep in mind that they only recently (within 6 months?) stopped selling new units of this model and that may come into play as part of the decision.  I would bet the data plan is not required for all smartphone discontinued prior to March 2008. 

0 Likes
dennisjara91

but my cousin had a moto q shes had on vzw for about 2 years or a little less and they never charged her extra or mandated a plan.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

dennisjara91 wrote:

thank the great one :smileyhappy: and doc.

so it is true? but i also heard that blackberry had an agreement with verzion that no matter what the release date of the blackberry was that it needed a data plan,

i want the blackberry curve 8330 released march 2008, so it shouldn't require a data plan right?

I want to say no it does not,but maybe you can PM MorganB and just clarify it.

0 Likes