Bing can't be deleted - and other irritations
Blackjeep

I am extremely irritated that my previous search methods have suddenly disappeared and Bing has appeared on my Storm.  Judging by all the other posts, looks like most everyone is, as well... however, when I went into the applications menu, it does not appear I can delete this app. 

I've also noted that other mystery apps have appeared on my phone (YouTube, Slacker Radio, and "My Verizon") and have  no idea where they came from (one obviously came from Verizon).  None of these were originally on the phone when I got it and have magically appeared either overnight or with an OS "update."  I have not authorized their installation and I want them gone, as they are eating up system memory and slowing down my phone.  I'm about as irritated as I can be and still retain Verizon as my proivder. 

How do i delete these things and get my search engine (Google) back???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Bing can't be deleted - and other irritations
Coachbulldog

Blackjeep wrote:

I am extremely irritated that my previous search methods have suddenly disappeared and Bing has appeared on my Storm.  Judging by all the other posts, looks like most everyone is, as well... however, when I went into the applications menu, it does not appear I can delete this app. 

I've also noted that other mystery apps have appeared on my phone (YouTube, Slacker Radio, and "My Verizon") and have  no idea where they came from (one obviously came from Verizon).  None of these were originally on the phone when I got it and have magically appeared either overnight or with an OS "update."  I have not authorized their installation and I want them gone, as they are eating up system memory and slowing down my phone.  I'm about as irritated as I can be and still retain Verizon as my proivder. 

How do i delete these things and get my search engine (Google) back???

The icons you see on your phone are not apps but only launchers that will take your through the process of downloading and installing the apps. The launchers cannot be deleted but you can hide them. I put the unused ones like bing, Yahoo! Messenger, etc.. into a folder title VZW Apps and then hide the entire folder.

If you want Google search, you can download the "Quick Search with Google" app from App World. One click and it launches straight to Google mobile search.

I wouldn't rule all of the apps as useless though. Slacker Radio is one of the most used apps on my Storm.

0 Likes
akamble

The real problem is the complete sense of control over my device that Verizon has shown.

You are correct no one can delete AIM, Bing & Yahoo Messenger, which is annoying to the 90th degree.

But what I find strange I can select Google Talk and that I can delete. I would like to know what configuration allows the device to selectively choose what Search Providers & Instant Messenger I can only hide and those I can exercise more control over.

I have used BING on my desktop and it has been a less than satisfactory experience, thus I don't want it on my Blackberry.

If I upgrade to a Google based OS device and continue my service with Verizon, will I lose any of my Google based applications and application configurations because Verizon may decide to change my configuration without my knowledge or approval.

Please don't send me a link to the Customer Agreement, because it is not a true contract, a contract is negotiation between 2 parties.

If you want to continue to have a vendor relationship with me and my multiple Verizon accounts then keep my happiness in mind.

0 Likes
pzrogers

Maybe my kids are right after all - go with Apple/Mac/iPhone and AT&T for optimal customer experience and choices.  I hated AT&T's coverage quality (GSM), but I'm being tempted to reconsider based on Verizon's continued steps in the wrong direction on customer choice and options.  Wake up, Verizon, before you start running off customers with your arrogant, ivory tower approach!

0 Likes