BB or Droid
carey

Hi Everyone,

I currently have the BB Tour 9630 and I'm due for an upgrade.  Should I give the Droid a try?  Any thoughts, I would really like a bigger screen?

Thanks,

Carey

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BB or Droid
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

What do you most use your phone for? If the most important thing to you is having a bigger display and viewing media, I would say, yes, try a Droid.

I think 2011 will bring a Storm 3, but who knows how long you'd have to wait.  BlackBerry devices don't seem to be a priority here.

0 Likes
carey

I really only use it for email, facebook, text messaging and some web browsing.  I know they say BB is best for email, but mine does have a delay to get to my phone, is that normal?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

My email hits my BB within a minute or so after it's sent, before it hits my home computer. It could be affected by whichever other servers it has to go through. For example, my Road Runner email hits immediately; my GoDaddy email takes a little longer.

I use my BB mainly for emailing, and I didn't like email on Android. I suppose because I didn't set it to push as received -- I set it to poll every 15 minutes, so that I could save battery life. I missed all the ways to customize notifications on a BB, the very noticeable flashing LED, and the great keyboard. But I only used Android for a few weeks ... I'm sure experienced Android users will tell you that you can customize it to be almost as good. For web browsing, Android is of course much better, but I haven't yet tried BB OS 6 / Webkit.

Good luck deciding. You have 30 days to return or exchange.

0 Likes
carey

Thanks so much!

0 Likes
7100jgc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had both.   I was an early adopter of the first Droid that came out in November 2009.   Both my wife and I switched to the Droid from our various Blackberries and we were both very disappointed with the Droids.   By now I am sure that the various new versions have made significant improvements.

I did enjoy the android platform, however the device was horrible and we ended up selling our Droids to replace them with Blackberries. 

We both use our 9650's extensively for business and it is a solid phone.   particularly for email, text, etc.   I also have a leaked version of OS 6.0 on the phone and the browser now suits me just fine.

I would say that if you want to hold your phone up in the air to find the star constellations, then get a Droid, otherwise, if you are keeping your feet on the ground for business purposes, get a Blackberry.

0 Likes
mawmawbear

be careful of the 30 day exchange policyI just updated 2 feature phones and didn't like what I got. (they were decided over the phone my internet was down) They were free phones and I didn't know they didn't have video camerasI tried to exchange them and they are going to charge me 35. 00 restocking feeSo buyer be weary!

0 Likes