BB 9650, WIFI in house, did I do this correctly?
Gunit

Hi,

I wanted to use my WIFI as much as I could, I first went into manage connections, and thought I could shut off Mobile network verizon, I did, internet worked, but I did not recieve calls.

Next try, I have both mobile and wifi connected.

I went to options, advanced options, browser, and clicked on default browser, and clicked on hotspot browser.

It seems to work, is this correct?

My other question is when I leave the wifi area, do I have to change the browser defualt again, or is it smart enought that no wifi, so it uses the network?

I figure I would use wifi as much as i can for internet, since I have the 150mb plan...

Would like some input or suggestions

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BB 9650, WIFI in house, did I do this correctly?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You have a very legit question.  First, your browser will tell the difference if you have WiFi connected or if you have 3G.  Here is what you need to do to save some money.  From your device, go to Options>Mobile Network.  Turn Data Services (first line) to Off.  This will turn off your 3G data signal.  You can test it for your self.  Turn off your wireless connection and with the Data Services: ON, you will connect with 3G to the internet and Messenger.  Now turn Data Services: OFF and wifi on and you will connect to wifi only.  You can also send and receive calls, SMS(text), and MMS(picture and video) messaging.  You will save a lot of money on your data usage.  I recommend connecting to the data signal every once in a while, at least once every few days, just to allow things on your phone such as service books and other files pertinant to your phone to update.  You can track your data usage by logging into My Verizon and checking your usage.  I hope all this helps save you usage on your data.

Doc

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Ok,

Some of you who remember the 70s TV show "Happy Days" and one of the characters the Fonz?  He was the ultimate cool and had trouble saying the word "Wrong."  Well, fortunately, I am not the Fonz and I can admit when I am wrong.  Or at least part wrong.  Let me correct my previous post in this thread so all will be set straight.

First, you can use just WiFi on a Blackberry to perform data intensive tasks such as internet browsing, Blackberry Messenger, email, AIM, and those other messaging apps that use data.  However, you will have to turn off the Mobile Network to do so.  You will have to go to Manage Connections and uncheck the Mobile Network box and check the WiFi box.  Obviously you will need a WiFi connection for this task.  I was wrong in that I thought you could turn off the Data from the Mobile connections option under Options and it would leave the 3G signal for calls and such and also leave the Wifi, however, this turns off ALL data.  So, in order to use WiFi only and no 3G signal, you will have to turn off the mobile network all together.  This means no calls or texts can be sent or received.  Now, I have not dabbled into Skype so I do not know how Skype might can figure into this equation for calls. 

I am sorry for giving out incorrect information, but all is clear now.  It's Wifi and no mobile network and no calls or texts.  Or, turn it on to get calls.  Now, you ask, "Doc, how can I know if my browser is using Mobile Network or Wifi connection?"  Good question.  In your browser, press the Menu key and Options.  Select Browser Configuration.  Change the setting Browser: Hotspot Browser.  Now you will be using WiFi, if it is available.  Also, if you ever want to save a URL into your bookmarks, you can do so by telling it to save as a Hotspot brower URL.  For example, on your device, go to http://community.vzw.com/

Once the page loads (yes, it is the landing page for these forums, which should show up enhanced to mobile viewing) Press the Menu key and select Add Bookmark.  Name it what you want, I always leave the default.  Scroll down to Browser and if you need to change it to Hotspot Browser, you can do so.  Scroll on down to ADD and it saves it as a Hotspot browser, if WiFi is turned on.  This works for saving any URL. 

Just a couple of tips I thought I would pass on to help you to understand and, more than any thing, save MONEY.  Again, sorry for posting some inaccurate info.  Should you ever have a question, post it here in the forums.  I am always around to help, as will as some of the other members who have learned just as I have...trial and error.  Good luck.

Doc

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I'm sure we can overlook the ONE HOUR were you weren't 100% accurate, Doc. 

Hey, just last week I told someone to use Wi-Fi on his Tour.  :smileyindifferent:

0 Likes