Active Wifi versus Moblie Network
jcf857

I have a Blackberry 9930 and successfully linked to most wifi connections/hostspots.  However, how do I know when I am using my wifi versus Verzion's mobile network?  Another question is how do I just use the wifi when I don't want to use my data plan?

I ask because whenever I turn my data service off and attempt to use my wifi connection I receive a message saying my wifi service is not available.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Active Wifi versus Moblie Network
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Leave data service on, just turn off the Mobile network option under "Manage Connections"; leave wi-fi checked. (I'm looking at my Bold 9650, OS 6 so your option may be a bit different.

Also, on my header info on the home screen at the top, it tells me the name of the network I am connected to. Mine says "Home" when I am connected to my home wi-fi (that's the name I gave our home network on my phone when I set it up). Whe I go out of range, that name disappears and there is nothing there.

If I am connected to a saved, wi-fi network, it will show the name, otherwise I'm using the mobile network.

HTH,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Leave data service on, just turn off the Mobile network option under "Manage Connections"; leave wi-fi checked. (I'm looking at my Bold 9650, OS 6 so your option may be a bit different.

Also, on my header info on the home screen at the top, it tells me the name of the network I am connected to. Mine says "Home" when I am connected to my home wi-fi (that's the name I gave our home network on my phone when I set it up). Whe I go out of range, that name disappears and there is nothing there.

If I am connected to a saved, wi-fi network, it will show the name, otherwise I'm using the mobile network.

HTH,
0 Likes
Re: Active Wifi versus Mobile Network
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

Suzy is right with her suggestion.  With the Blackberry and OS6, if a wifi connection is available and you are connected, your device will use the wifi instead of the mobile network by default.  However, if you really want to be 100% sure, you can uncheck the box next to mobile network and leave the wifi box checked.  You can surf the web and instant message with apps such as Blackberry Messenger.  You will not be using any of your data plan.  The only drawback is that you can not make or receive calls or SMS or MMS messages.  One big suggestion I have is to use the My Verizon app to track your usage.  It can give you an idea of how much data you are using.  You will find that surfing the web and instant messaging doesn't use a whole lot of data compared to streaming music say from Pandora.  That is where you want to be careful as that can burn up a chunk of data.  I would suggest doing the wifi only and turning off the mobile network to be sure.  Hope this was a little helpful.

Doc

0 Likes
jcf857

Awesome, thank you!  Made all the adjustments and got the wifi feature to work.  Is there a way to use wifi with the mobile network still active?

0 Likes
jcf857

Fantastic!  This also clarifies when my phone is automatically using wifi versus my data plan.  Thanks so much!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

jcf857 wrote:

Awesome, thank you!  Made all the adjustments and got the wifi feature to work.YAY!!!   Is there a way to use wifi with the mobile network still active? Just leave both of them (mobile network and wifi) checked.  It uses whichever signal is stronger, I believe.  When I'm at home our home wifi takes precedence, when I come in range of another saved wifi profile, it connects as long as I have Wifi enabled.  If it doens't find a wifi signal, it goes back to mobile network.

If you go to Manage Connections, and scroll down to Service Status, you will see what services you are currently using.  Sitting here at home, mine shows Mobile voice as using the mobile network (makes sense), BIS is wi-fi, and the wi-fi network is my home one.

0 Likes
jrab

Yes that works with BB OS 6.x. However, with BB OS 7.0 on the BB 9930, it does not work at all.

You turn the data service off, immediately the IP address gets reset to 0.0.0.0.  even when the phone is still associated to the Access Point or Hotspot.

Do any of you know if this is a defect on the OS or is Verizon forcing the Wifi authentication thru the VZW Data network ?

--RamOn

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

jrab wrote:

Yes that works with BB OS 6.x. However, with BB OS 7.0 on the BB 9930, it does not work at all.

You turn the data service off, immediately the IP address gets reset to 0.0.0.0.  even when the phone is still associated to the Access Point or Hotspot. Is there no distinction, in OS7, between Mobile Network and Data Services?  They are two separate options on my Bold running OS6 - as I suggested in my earlier post, leave DATA SERVICES ON (Under Setup, Services and Options), but turn OFF MOBILE NETWORK (Under Manage Connections).  Two distinct settings....

Do any of you know if this is a defect on the OS or is Verizon forcing the Wifi authentication thru the VZW Data network ?

--RamOn

0 Likes