AT&T?
PROB1

Just woke up at 1am for some odd reason, grabbed the phone and headed to my home office.  That is when I realized my Bold 9650 didn't have any service.  Tried *228, then manage network connections.  Then I noticed it has me on the AT&T network, which it apparently did all on its own.  Couldn't figure out how to switch it back (not as awake as I thought), Did a reboot and then was able to do the *228, everything is OK now, but how did this happen in the first place? :smileysad:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: AT&T?
jlee7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know you can switch networks. Not sure how you would make it work on another carrier though. But if u go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options, you can change your Network Selection Mode (which should be Home Only), and Network Technology (which should be 1XEV). I noticed when Ntework Technology is switched to GSM/UMTS, Mobile Network  shows up as AT&T or T-Mobile. I was told by a customer service rep via phone that Network Selection Mode should be set at Home Only so the device isn't constantly searching for different signals. (supposed to help save battery?) I find my reception is best at these settings.

I have no explanation as to how they would get changed though. Maybe someone was snooping through your phone and changed some things on accident looking for something else?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
Bad dream? Did you take a sleep aid? Common side effects include raiding the refrigerator in your sleep and thinking you have a different wireless provider. Ha! But really, I've not heard of this, but I'm glad it's all straightened out now. I guess I would call customer service and ask about this one.
0 Likes
jlee7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know you can switch networks. Not sure how you would make it work on another carrier though. But if u go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options, you can change your Network Selection Mode (which should be Home Only), and Network Technology (which should be 1XEV). I noticed when Ntework Technology is switched to GSM/UMTS, Mobile Network  shows up as AT&T or T-Mobile. I was told by a customer service rep via phone that Network Selection Mode should be set at Home Only so the device isn't constantly searching for different signals. (supposed to help save battery?) I find my reception is best at these settings.

I have no explanation as to how they would get changed though. Maybe someone was snooping through your phone and changed some things on accident looking for something else?

0 Likes
PROB1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I did reset the network technology, just now to 1XEV, it was set to Global.  Network selection mode can only be set to Automatic on my device, so obviously I left it alone.  I don't think anybody was messing with the phone because I'm kind of ainal about not having it attached to my side.  My best guess is that I tried a 6.0 leak for a couple of months but switched back when I kept loosing my service.  In hind sight it was exactly the problem I had here, but wrote it off to the leak and reverted back to the official. I'll bet there was a glich in that software causing it and it just carried over after I downgraded back.  Either way thanks for the tip on 1XEV, I will keep a closer eye on it, if necessary I'll wipe and reload (unless Verizon is poised to release a great 6.0 for us Bold 9650 folks).

0 Likes
jlee7
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine seemed to work ok in Global, but it did seem I got a little more reception with 1XEV. I've nevered dared to mess leaked or hybrid OS's. Just stuck with the official versions, which was hard to wait for with the ear speaker issues with the Storm 2 until they finally released an official update. Lucky you with the 6.0, if you ever get it! LOL No such luck for us Storm people, even though it looks like it was made for the Storm.

0 Likes