AIM on Blackberry 8530
Dane87

I've been trying to figure out this question for awhile.

I check online, I call customer service. I get DIFFERENT ANSWERERS EVERYTIME!

If I download AIM from Blackberry.

http://www.blackberry.com/instantmessaging

or mobile.blackberry.com

Will it use DATA or TEXT MESSAGING?  Verizon reps flip flop their answers.

I called verizon again. Asked the same question. Does AIM for blackberry use Data or texts to get and send instant messages?.

Him:"It uses data"
Me:"are you sure? because I keep getting told different answers"
Him:"Let me check".....
Him:"No, it uses texts."

Either it does or doesn't pick one. There is ZERO reason why an APPLICATION should use texts and not data.

So what's the deal? Does AIM use DATA or Texts?

I have 500 out of network texts, thats all.

I have unlimited Data for blackberry.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: AIM on Blackberry 8530
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Dane87 wrote:

Doc,

Can you, yourself confirm that it uses Data?

Other than showing you my monthly bill, no.  You can always log into My Verizon to check your usage of data, texts, and minutes on your device if you need to.  That is what I recommend.  I use AIM, Blackberry Messenger, and Windows Live Messenger on my Tour and it does not use any texts...only data.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
scuzzyxzero
Enthusiast - Level 3

if you download it from blackberry app world you are covered, uses the internet.  Where the confusion comes in is that the media phones and plain phones have to use text service to send im.  

0 Likes
Dane87

Yeah that's what I asked when I called. And got told no it uses texts.

I've sent a few IM's and I am waiting for my usage to reset.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

All of the instant messaging apps such as AIM, Blackberry Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc. use data, not text.  There can be an instance where Blackberry Messenger can use SMS text due to an integration feature with BBM 5.0.  See the thread found here for that discussion and how to avoid this.  But to answer you question, AIM uses data, not text messaging.

Doc

0 Likes
Dane87

Im on the phone currently with Verizon Customer care, and getting told It uses TEXTS.

15 Mins on the phone with the guy. He started off saying data. checked stuff on his end, and all he can find is stuff saying "Mobile IM"

His answer. "It uses texts"

So my question is. Does anyone here that CURRENTLY has a blackberry with AIM installed. Does your IM's count at Data or Texts?

If you DONT have a blackberry please dont guess. Because it seems like thats all verizon is doing is guessing.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Dane87,

AIM uses data.  See the AIM website at Blackberry.com found at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/features/im/aim.jsp for more info.  All it requires is a data plan, which all new Blackberry devices that are activated now require across all of the major carriers.  So instant message away and it does not cost you any more.

Doc

0 Likes
Dane87

Doc,

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Dane87 wrote:

Doc,

Other than showing you my monthly bill, no.  You can always log into My Verizon to check your usage of data, texts, and minutes on your device if you need to.  That is what I recommend.  I use AIM, Blackberry Messenger, and Windows Live Messenger on my Tour and it does not use any texts...only data.

Doc

0 Likes
Dane87

Ok you answered my question since you have verizon, blackberry and use AIM and says it only uses data.

Thank you!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm going to jump in here and try to clear up the confusion....feel free to tell me to stay off the Blackberry boards until I own one....

I have a "regular" phone, and I use MOBILE IM - I have no data plan, and do not get charged data for using MOBILE IM.  It connects using my AIM or Yahoo screen name, and I can send messages to and from users on a computer - for me it all counts as text, NOT data.  I am not using the browser to log in to AIM or YIM, I am using Mobile IM (that came installed on the phone) and all my messages are TEXT.

On the Blackberry, there are apps for this type of communication, as Doc said - and if you are using the Blackberry apps, you use DATA.

HTH,

0 Likes