9650 - Who has one?
gabby3

Just ordered my new 9650. Makes me a little nervous to get something before it has been reviewed - but BBs are bullet proof and my Curve 8330 is getting touchy in its old age.

It is not a thrilling purchase - that was when I ordered the Droid back in December. And returned it a week later. At least I won't have to replace trackballs every month. Maybe my Brickbreaker score will improve. You know you're bored when you find yourself playing that game. But I never loaded any others. Too adult ADD to risk it.

Can anyone help out? I know nothing really about this handset.

☼ Think the 9650 browser will be any better than the Curve?

☼ Any idea when the new OS is going to be available?

☼ Will the camera be noticably better?

☼ Oh - wifi. Just noticed. So that will work at home - but since almost all networks are encrypted, why is this such a big deal to all my iPhone friends?

Just trying to find some reason to get excited about another boring BlackBerry (to quote my 15 year old). Other than reliable email, texts (boring work stuff) and a "one page at a time" browser (that does drive me crazy). This is like getting a sweater for Christmas from Santa.

A working stiff

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 9650 - Who has one?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Hardware/Software wise it's the same as the original Tour 9630.

The browser is noticeably better than the 8330. It does a better job of rendering non-mobile web pages. The camera will definitely be better: 3.2megapixel on the Bold and only a 2.0 on the 8330. So pictures will be somewhat clearer and crisper.

WiFi is good to have because if you're getting a strong WiFi signal it actually uses less battery power than 3G does. You will be able to connect to any WiFi network secured or unsecured. Plus, WiFi will give you slightly better speeds.

As for the new OS 6.0 this will be one of the only current devices that will support it. The Bold 9650 also has OpenGL support which is for 3D acceleration. These upgrades should come out in the second half of 2010. RIM hasn't officially announced any release dates, just a general time frame.

So as it is right now, the Bold 9650 is nothing terribly exciting or innovative in the least. But the fact that it will support future OS releases and better graphics is a good thing that means it won't be left in the dust when new devices come out later this year.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Hardware/Software wise it's the same as the original Tour 9630.

The browser is noticeably better than the 8330. It does a better job of rendering non-mobile web pages. The camera will definitely be better: 3.2megapixel on the Bold and only a 2.0 on the 8330. So pictures will be somewhat clearer and crisper.

WiFi is good to have because if you're getting a strong WiFi signal it actually uses less battery power than 3G does. You will be able to connect to any WiFi network secured or unsecured. Plus, WiFi will give you slightly better speeds.

As for the new OS 6.0 this will be one of the only current devices that will support it. The Bold 9650 also has OpenGL support which is for 3D acceleration. These upgrades should come out in the second half of 2010. RIM hasn't officially announced any release dates, just a general time frame.

So as it is right now, the Bold 9650 is nothing terribly exciting or innovative in the least. But the fact that it will support future OS releases and better graphics is a good thing that means it won't be left in the dust when new devices come out later this year.

0 Likes
kfa1217

@UBS_Sucks: I have been waiting for the Bold 9650 to come to VZW for over a year. My BB Pearl Flip 8230 totally died on me today at work and as I was on the phone w/ tech support saw that the Bold 9650 was available. I had an upgrade available and immediately got it. It will be here tomorrow and I cannot wait. I have a few friends w/ the Curve and it was just too small for my hands and another friend as the Tour 9630 and I liked the way it felt...not too big, not too small. I was holding off on ordering the Tour 9630 since it also had the trackball and was on the EOL list. Hope you enjoy your new phone!

0 Likes
adamant

mine is coming today. how do u get the contacts switched over from my curve? i cant get backup assistance to work on the curve.

0 Likes
gabby3

Thank you. Reinforced my take. Which is - it is a tool, not a toy.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

adamant wrote:

mine is coming today. how do u get the contacts switched over from my curve? i cant get backup assistance to work on the curve.

Hi,

Go ahead now and use Blackberry Desktop Manager and backup your contacts and calendar data.  Then when you get your new device, you should be able to use Blackberry Dekstop Manager to update your new phone with your old data.

Doc

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

UBS_Sucks wrote:

Thank you. Reinforced my take. Which is - it is a tool, not a toy.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

0 Likes
MadDogFL62
Contributor - Level 2

What a great post, UBS!  Sounds like we are in the same boat.  I have a corporate Verizon account and have been waiting since the new year for something new to come out from Verizon.  My contract expired in February and I have yet to renew due to the lack of BB inventory.  Still milking my 8330 as well. (My kids have better BrickBreaker scores than I do!)

I just ordered my 9650 out of corporate this week.  No OS6 on it, but the processor will be faster.  Camera with a flash works for me; not doing photog work for ESPN or anything like that.  I see on the CrackBerry site that there is already an OS update available that Verizon will have out for the 9650 soon.  Hopefully that  is not a bad sign.  I am also anxious to see how the 9650 works with the BES email servers at corporate.  Our IT staff is really big into BES and the BlackBerry handsets.  They really tout the email security and have been engaged with Verizon on the new 4G LTE out of the Northeast big cities.  Great reviews there, too.

I have done my share of complaining about the lack of BB inventory at Verizon.  Hopefully someone in management from Verizon sees some of our posts and recognizes that their big corporate accounts stand to be lost as not many companies will want to provide their employees with Verizon service on old or trashy handsets.  IT Departments just don't want to listen to the complaints and the better network story does not hold water in a cell phone mutiny with end users.  I know my company has had a flood of employees drop their Verizon plans and now pay for their own plans so they could get devices like the iPhone, Sprint BB Bold, EVO, etc.  Seems like a good network simply does not outweigh a quality handset experience.  If only Verizon would now step up their BlackBerry business by increasing the BB variety by including the new slider, pearl 3g, and Storm 3 in 2011.

0 Likes
gabby3

MadDog -

Every Verizon store I have ever been to is staffed by guys around 25 yrs old. They are APP crazy and use their phones as entertainment centers. Business users with our $125/month plans get no love. I don't understand why. I have met a bunch of the Verizon Wireless execs - and they are looking for the same bullet proof solution as the rest of us.

Someone could capture a huge slice of our demographic if they just delivered what we want - a simple device with:

1. 100% reliable email.

2. 100% reliable voice calls

3. 100% reliable voice mail and alerts.

4.  A better browser - I read a lot of research on line during downtime. One window at a time is ridiculous.

Beyond that - some features would be nice - but not at the risk of messing with the above.

GPS - helpful to have when traveling

Some music - it probably does this - I have never used it for that. I have my son's hand me down iPod from 3 generations ago.

Camera - it would be nice if the pictures (other than the perfect lighting) came out a little better.

Games - I don't care - if I have something interesting, I would spend too much time playing with it.

Did I miss anything?

0 Likes
judpma

Desktop Mananger( which is an easy download) does it in a flash and very easy. If you don't use the Manager take it into the local store and they can transfer those contacks for you.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes