5gb data usage
jwforumblog

I can ration my mb's, but when the reset date comes, I want to see "usage 0.00 MB" !!!!! My reset date moved up a month, but my usage is still at 4909.974. I can still use it without extra cost, but I dare not try web surfing with only 90kb on hand.

WHAT'S UP WITH THIS?!?!?!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: 5gb data usage
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It takes a day or two for the minutes/data usage to reset at the beginning of a billing cycle.

Are you using the BB to tether?  That's the only way a 5GB cap applies - if you are using your phone to surf, and using the BB $29.99 data plan, it's unlimited usage.  The 5 GB applies to tethering, which is an additional cost per month.

0 Likes
jwforumblog

You are absolutely right Suzy Q, I called verizon after they opened Sun. morning and was told the MB usage will be reset soon the date has been reset so I'm good to go. Thanx for the input. I pay $30 for my handheld and $60 for my tethered desktop.

They really get into your pocket don't they? I did have dsl but moved to the country and am paying 4X more!

0 Likes
Montezuma

SuzyQ, you are incorrect about the "unlimited" comment, in regards to using a phone to "surf the internet".  Data plans on phones have the **bleep** 5 GB limit imposed as does tethering.  As a long-time cellular phone user and someone who has worked in the cellular phone business(technical support, PAC, NOC, etc), this is someone that is done with pretty much every carrier(there are a few data carriers that provide mobile broadband with actual unlimited access).

It would be nice to see Verizon, AT&T, and other carriers double or even triple the monthly allotments.  Mobile Broadband cost far more than land-based internet access, it is far slower, and it is not near as reliable.  If not that, then the overage cost should be substantially reduced.  Mobile Broadband customers pay $59.99 a month, plus tax, for the first 5 GB of data.  That is rather unreasonable in this day and age, but it gets even worse.

We, being a very heavily involved internet community(at least is modern communities), 5 GB is very easily and quickly used up before the month is up.  I am not talking about P2P, or large file downloads.  I am talking about accessing email and browsing of webpages.  The next 5 GB, if a customer were to use, God forbid, 10 GB in one month, would cost a customer $1280 USD.  That is a total rip-off.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Montezuma wrote:

SuzyQ, you are incorrect about the "unlimited" comment, in regards to using a phone to "surf the internet".  Data plans on phones have the **bleep** 5 GB limit imposed as does tethering....

I respectfully disagree, Montezuma.  Yes, tethering your phone to your computer requires a separate, additional plan and does carry a 5 GB cap on usage.  The mobile broadband devices (USB modems, air cards) also carry a 5 GB cap.

However, the $29.99 data plan that's required for the smartphones and Blackberries, and that is now available on some multimedia phones also, IS unlimited when used directly on the phones. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

SuzyQ is correct.  Internet for your phone is $29.99 for unlimited usage.  Internet for your computer is $59.99 for 5 GB.  That includes tethering, netbook, USB, etc.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

jwforumblog wrote:

I can ration my mb's, but when the reset date comes, I want to see "usage 0.00 MB" !!!!! My reset date moved up a month, but my usage is still at 4909.974. I can still use it without extra cost, but I dare not try web surfing with only 90kb on hand.

WHAT'S UP WITH THIS?!?!?!

According to your profile, you have a Blackberry 8530.  Obviously, all BB devices require the $29.99 data plan which is unlimited.  So don't sweat using the megabites.  I used mine a lot last month and only used 78 Mb.  So, enjoy your Blackberry.

Doc

-------

Sorry, I just noticed you also tether for extra.  Although I do not use that feature, I can understand you wanting to see the reset in My Verizon for your tethering data usage.  Sorry I misunderstood.

Doc

0 Likes
Seeker01

Not being smart but are you sure that's KB and not BM? My bill showed 34758.96kb which is only about 34bm...  

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

I used 82,340 kilobytes, which is about 82 megabytes.

0 Likes