1st Smart Phone
capvl99

I am counting the days until I can get rid of my piece of junk LG Dare and was thinking of replacing it with a Blackberry Tour.  After doing some research, reading some reviews and some blog postings, I am starting to question that.  I want to wait until my  "New Every Two" is resets in July.  By that time I hope that the Tour-2, or whatever it is going to be called is out, eliminating the one recurring complaint of the current Tour (the trackball). 

The more I read these reviews, the more confused I get.  I will read one review saying it is the best phone EVER made and my life will never be the same.  Immediately following that review, I will read one that says it is the worst phone EVER made and my life will never be the same.....  I understand everyone's expecations, needs, and usages are different, but the range of opinion here is amazing.   I am now rethinking the Blackberry and considering the Android or the Palm.

I am not sure what I am looking for here, but possibly some advice.  I would be a light user.  Some web browsing, e-mail, and a little texting.  I don't plan on becomming a Crackberry addict, but who does????

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 1st Smart Phone
bstorm2b

The main thing to consider is what you want the phone for. If email is important to you and you dont need a super fast web browser look into the BB. If you want the phone more to surf the web look for a droid. If you want apps you can get them with both phones.I would suggest if you wanted a full keyboard is to wait it out for the Bold to come out on verizon. That in most people's opinion is the best BB out there. I would agree that and the storm2. The best thing for you to do is go to a store and play around with some phones and see which one feels the best. Just remember ou have 30 days to return. Also o use a lot of data or minutes on the phone if you might return it. That might help you avoid the $35 restocking fee. Every phone has its postives and negatives its just what you learn to live with.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

As the previous poster said, there's no substitute for trying them in the store.

If you're looking for easy, reliable, instant communication -- especially via email -- BlackBerry can't be beat. If you have friends with BB, you'll love Messenger. If you go BB, consider holding out for the Bold 9650 ... the specs are looking good so far.

If you're looking for a good browsing experience, entertainment and apps, look at Android. These things are not nearly as good on a BB. However, having a large touch-screen will deplete your battery faster, so chances are you will have to charge at least once a day.

Good luck deciding.

0 Likes
capvl99

Thanks for the niput Sydney/bstorm.  I am excited to see the Bold and as I am planning on waiting until July, hopefully it will be out by then.  I have been unable to find anything on a release date and the stores/cust service don't know (or aren't saying).  I have played with the Tour/Droid/Curve.  I like the feel of the tour and if the Bold is a little bigger, as I have read, that would make it even better for me.  Droid seems a little big to me, but I like the big keyboard. 

My concerns with the tour is the trackball (which goes away on the bold) and the various software/locking up issues that have been mentioned in other threads. 

Thanks again.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I have read release dates anywhere from May 1 to May 29 for the Bold, so it def should be out before July.

Here's a fun way to follow it: http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/

(Now you'll be a CrackBerry addict for sure!)

0 Likes