148 Battery Drain
wolfzero
I upgraded to 4.7.0.148 from 4.7.0.75 just a few days ago.  I used to get a day to a day and a half of battery power.  After the upgrade I have about 6 hours of battery power before a fully charged phone is completely drained.  That's with minimal use and the phone holstered as well.  It's unusable at this point so have no choice but to go back to .75.  It may be a good release for some but it's unuseable on my phone.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 148 Battery Drain
jkf
Enthusiast - Level 2
I've found if you lock your phone when your not using it, the Storm will go into a  sleep mode that turns off the display.  This greatly increases the battery life.  I personally have noticed an improvement with the new update because of this.  Also, every since I've had a cell (1994), I've been into the habit of plugging it into it's charger every night when I go to bed.  Don't try to see how many days it will go without a charge.  I realize this might not be practical for everybody, but it certainly has made it so I haven't had any battery issues since the beginning.
0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3
What is minimal use? I usually send picture and text messages to my friends, use email sevices. My battery life is almost the same.
0 Likes
wolfzero
Thanks for the replies jkf and Sandman.  My Storm is set to lock when hostered and I keep it holstered most of the day.  I'll give an example for minimal use yesterday.  Had the Storm on my work desk holstered.  I unholstered, unlocked, and viewed about 4 e-mails.  Deleted them and re-holstered (locked) each time.  I didn't use it to make any phone calls.  The battery was so low after 7 hours that the phone shut the radio off.  I called Verizon support last night.  So far he indicated he had not hear of this problem and no advice (he told me that wiping it would restore it back to .75 but I don't think so.
0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3
If 3 Blackberry Storms gives you the same problem, I don't really know. But are the settings like backlight set low? What about Bluetooth, do you have it on? It's famous for killing baterries if kept on. I'm sorry if you're having problems with the Storm.
0 Likes
gocardinals
My battery life has improved significantly, going from 75 to 148.
0 Likes
wolfzero
I am starting to see more on a the .148 release and fast battery drain on crackberry forums.  So this is not unique to my Storm.  I fixed the problem by visiting Verizon Wireless store and essentially they gave me a new Storm with the .75 OS.  So if you upgrade have a fallback plan. 
0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3
I'm happy you got the problem taken care of at Verizon. So far my battery lasts a little longer now, since the upgrade. Right now it is at 40% charge. Verizon said the new batteries don't have memory and there is no need to run it down, I can charge often I want to. Mainly turn my Storm off when charging.
0 Likes
BlackBerry_i812

I found a Good External BlackBerry Rapid Battery Charger that recharges The Standard BlackBery Battery in 2 hours or less

BlackBerry Mini External Battery Charger for Curve 8900, Storm 9530, Storm 9500

(13 Customer Ratings)   Manufacturer: BlackBerry Works with: BlackBerry Curve 8900, Storm 9530, Storm 9500

http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberry-mini-external-battery-charger/5A83A4270.htm

Now you can make sure you have a spare battery fully charged while you continue to use your BlackBerry device, or just add in a USB cable to charge your device and your spare battery at the same time. Use the Mini Extra Battery Charger with any BlackBerry charger (sold separately) to power up a spare battery in your car, in your home or office, or right off your computer.

Like all BlackBerry device chargers, it reliably delivers constant current and voltage to charge your device safely and rapidly, and help extend the life of your battery. You'll have the security of knowing your extra battery is charged and ready whenever you need it.

LED shows charging status

• Orange: Charging
  • Green: Charged

The Charger has the RIM BlackBerry Manufacturer Label on it.. 

It works Great for me..

0 Likes
JimR
I upgraded to 148 and also am experiencing the rapid battery drain.  It is going from a full charge (Iplug it in every night) to completely drained and shut down in 7 hours.  I will revert back to OS 75 if this is a continuing problem. I have had the problem since converting to 148 three days ago.
0 Likes