.141 Solves so many issues for the Storm
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

I have a Storm 9530 and have had so many problems it's rediculous. I've have my screen going to static and freezing, random calls being made, lock ups, camera delay, ringtone issues, ringer profile problems, gps problems, constant error messages, and even the random reboots. I think I have every problem anyone has posted about going on on my storm...

I have updated my storm to the leaked .141 OS update, and have had it updated for about 3 weeks to a month, and can seriously say, absolutely no problems. Not one single issue. The phone runs a lot faster, smoother, no delay on the camera or the tilt engine. As soon as you tilt the phone to landscape, it switches. No random dialing or shut offs, no camera delay, and no other problems, that update fixed every issue I have had.

Also, this update did NOT create new problems and issues like it's predecesors.

I highly recomend getting this update if you haven't already...

You can get it at www.crackberry.com on their forums...

Labels (1)
Re: .141 Solves so many issues for the Storm
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

As for why it failed, I have no idea. Maybe VZW isn't ready to put one out yet unless it's perfect. But my Storm went from tons of problems, to no problems. Since I updated my phone with it about a month ago, I haven't had a single problem with my Storm.

My Storm runs a lot better, faster, and smoother. No glitches, errors, problems, or anything.

I recomend anyone with a Storm that has problems, run the update. If it doesn't solve your problems, simply plug it back into your computer, and revert it back to it's original OS version. VZW obviously has it's own reasons for failing it, however, I think they should release it. If it's not up to 100% VZW standards, they should consider the better for the loss, meaning what does it contribute vs what problems does it have. Weigh the pros and cons and if there are more pros than cons, release it.

It just makes sense, and honestly, it fixed every problem I have had and was having with my Storm.

I have no complaints and VZW obviously isn't the most efficient if they don't approve this update and release it.

0 Likes
Re: . Answer for all the issues with the Storm...
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

Well, if you have a $500 phone, and a 2 year contract with no upgrade, why front the money to get the Storm 2 instead of just finding a way to make the phone work. My Storm is now flawless. So why bother getting the storm 2 that is basically a storm 1 that's been slightly updated.

And you know verizon will not allow a swap out or discounted price for storm 1 users. They're a massive money hungry company that will do what is needed to make a buck. All storm 1 users will be paying full price for the storm 2 unless being able to upgrade from their contract.

So, I wish you the best and good luck with your solution. I'll keep on enjoying my Storm 1 now that it's working 100% flawlessly.

0 Likes
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Evo,

So I need to clear up my opinion of Flawlessly. For I myself did the .141 crapped out with it then downgraded to .132. So here we go. First if your *228 your device and select 2 to update your roaming, you loose data. Next, If you lock the device, it is easily unlocked by touching the device functions at the bottom of the device. This only started happening on the .141 build. Memory still leaks. Colorbanding is still present on any build after .75, even the officials by other carriers. Several apps including Quicklaunch will not interface with .141. Only started on this build. These are just a few of the occurrences that have continued to cause a stir. Is it better than .75? Yes. Not worth risking voiding your warranty over if you are not confident in your ability to perform the leak upgrade.

Respectfully, Michael 

0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

My storm has none of the problems you speak of. If I lock my screen, it only unlocks by pressing the unlock button on the top, as for the memory leak, I have not seen or noticed. Overall the pros vs the cons are worth updating it to .141

As for voiding the warranty, that didn't really bother me too much considering my storm works 100%, and upgraded the phone properly. I have not seen or come across any of the issues that have been said to be happening with the .141 update.

Also, quicklaunch works just fine as well, as for the colorbanding, yes it is still present, but not a big deal in my opinion. The point is, the things that this update fixed compared to anything else out weigh it hands down. The device actually works well and efficiently, and I have not had a single problem or issue since I updated it. Maybe I just got lucky and it worked well with my particular storm or something, I don't know. All I'm saying is, I recomend updating to .141. It worked really well for me, and it could possibly work really well for others.

I value your opinion and insight, I'm just saying, mine worked perfectly. I'll try the *228 and see if that is a problem for me, I have yet to need to do that.

0 Likes
seabright
Contributor - Level 1

I value your opinion and insight, I'm just saying, mine worked perfectly. I'll try the *228 and see if that is a problem for me, I have yet to need to do that.

Unlike with other phones, the network doesn't force a reset of the Storm after doing *228. If you do a reset after *228 is complete, there shouldn't be a problem with the data.

Keep in mind that it really isn't necessary to *228 more than once evey couple of months or before traveling. It only updates the Preferred Roaming List (PRL). Sadly, it was touted for a long time as some sort of magic fix for anything wrong with a phone, which it's not.

Best of luck.

0 Likes
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hey seabright,

In earlier builds of leaked OS's, it was a given to *22899 to update the device to that particular district/region however you want to describe it. This was true from .86 all the way thru until .132. Once .132 was out and about, once it was on the device we would all update after we sent the service books and reregistered the host routing tables. Well once the programming was finished, we immediately saw 1XEV drop to 1x. To verify data loss we would open the browser and nothing. The only way to get the data back was to pull the battery.

Now to get to your point. I agree 100% with your summation of the "magic fix". However, this morning when I installed .148 to my device I started with 2 bars on 1XEV. I *22899, let the feature run it's course and wala, 5 bars at 1XEV. The update function had been fixed in this build. Like you said, once you run the feature through 1 time your good to go, it's just that initially after installing an OS, this feature needs to be done to update to the network.

I hope that makes sense. 

Best of Luck right back....

Regards, Michael 

Message Edited by EarthUnderSky on 05-20-2009 08:38 AM
0 Likes
seabright
Contributor - Level 1

I only have .141 so I can only speak to that version. Nice to know it was fixed in a later one. In fact, it was my understanding that this was the very reason they didn't release that build.

I'll let my "data guy" test .146 for a little while before I let him load it on mine. I was actually having almost no problems with .75 so I haven't been in any hurry. The camera was my biggest gripe and seems much snappier under .141. Haven't had a chance to test whether it still sends pictures upside down if I take them in landscape with the buttons held to the left (my preferred orientation).

0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2
I plan to update my storm to .148 and see how that one runs. I did attempt the *228 and I did lose data and have to pull the battery. So, yes, I will definately be updating to .148 and seeing how that works.
0 Likes
Re: .141 Solves so many issues for the Storm
sanchezm94

There have been so many leaked os for the storm. I personally have not and can not  bring myself to download something that is not official. I hope that it works well for u. I wish Verizon would ask me to test some of there os u know real word testing is the best. And I would love to be a genii pig for Verizon at least they might cover a bricked system if something went wrong. lol

0 Likes