Viewing HTML images on Curve
BPNSNV

Can anyone please tell me how to get my BB Curve 8330 to display HTML images in my AOL pushed emails? It is  SO frustrating to get emails that are loaded with HTML , and you can't even see what the email is all about!  All you see is HTML link one right after another, an no images being displayed at all.  I've had my BB Curve for a year now, and have familiarized myself with all the settings.  I have it configured to display embedded images on HTML pages in my email Options, and I even purchased a third party application that is supposed to enable HTML images, but can't even get that one to work.   Has anyone had the same issue, and been able to get it resolved? This is the only issue I have with my Curve, but it's a very frustrating one! Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Viewing HTML images on Curve
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Did you ever update your OS to 4.5 that came out in October of 2008?? To verify your OS click on your options icon then go to About. The first page should tell you the version your running; 4.5.0.138 is the latest verison. If you still have verison 4.2 then you're not going to be able to view HTML.

You can use this link to update your OS: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/devices/#tab_tab_update

If you are running 4.5 then in the email message you can hit your menu button and select "show images" to download the item.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

As NMchileman  said, first make sure you have 4.5 OS. If you do then open the message or the email foder. While inside hit menu>options>email settings>enable HTML> make sure it says yes.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Have you noticed that even when you have the "Download Images Automatically" set to "Yes" that it still requires you to manually download the images in an email? I've never seen it do it automatically on any Blackberry.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah attachments do that. Only SMS downloads auto it seems. Hopefully 5.0 OS will clear a few of these things up.

0 Likes
BPNSNV

I very much appreciate both of you trying to come to my "rescue!"   To respond to your suggestions, yes, I always make sure that both my Desktop Manager AND my device are running the latest versions always.  As far as the settings in the options are concerned, I  have had everything you could possibly enable, enabled.  Anything that would facilitate showing images has been configured that way, but still, all I am seeing is HTML.  Even in my sleep, at this point!  LOL   After a lonnnnnng conversation with a tech person at BB, I was told that I may have a corrupted service book. I was told to do a backup of my device, but only those things that aren't directly involved with this issue, such as my calendar, contacts, memos, etc.  Once I have done the backup, I am to delete all of the service books, and wipe the device clean. I am then to restore those things that I just backed up FIRST, and THEN I am to contact BB, who will send me all new service books for everything.  According the the tech, somewhere along the lne, something got corrupted, and each time I have done a backup, that corrupted file has been hidden somewhere, and has been restored back on to my new replacement device....causing the issue to go on and on and on.  I don't know if anyone else has had an issue with their Curve devices (hardware related) but within one year, I am on my FIFTH replacement, all of which are reconditioned (no comment) ....and I take VERY GOOD care of my Blackberry. It's my baby, and I would be lost without it!  I just wish they would send me out a brand new device, instead of a reconditioned one.  But that's another story for another time.

The BB tech says that if all the settings are configured in favor of enabling images, there should be no reason not to be able to see them in my email.  It may take a bit longer for them to appear, but they should appear.  I am about to begin doing the back up soon, so if anyone out there knows of any reason why I should not be doing this, speak up now, or forever hold your tongue!   LOL  Wish me luck, Gang!

On a side note, the whole thing that got this started was me trying to download the BB Smart view HTML reader application which I had purchased for my original Curve a year ago. It did work great on the first device, but since I have had these replacement devices, it doesn't work .  I have gotten conflicting info from two sources as to whether the 3rd party application is PIN# dependent or not, and whether there are different versions for the app itself out there designed for each of the different BB device software versions. I don't know who to believe on this one either. Makes sense that it would be PIN dependent, but the source that I purchased it from says NO! 

Anyway, here is where I need another answer.  When you configure the BB Smart view for the first time, you need to test the internet connection mode that the device is using to get the application to function. You have a choice of BES, or BIS, or WAP, or TCP/IP.  Since I am not using this for business, I am not connected to the Enterprise Server, so I know it is not BES. It must be BIS or the other two. The last one (WAP, I think) asks for two sets of long numbers to be typed in. One is the IP address and the other I can't recall (starts with an "A"  I believe)...can anyone help me on this one?  What mode does the Curve use to connect to the internet???  Major hurdle, here. 

Thanks again for any past, and future advice!

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

I would just resend my service books by going to  Menu key>email settings>help>send service books. Also if you have any conflicting viewer installed either use it and turn HTML off on your phone or delete the third party app and enable HTML on your phone. Do not use both this can cause issues. make sure you do a battery pull (not turn off, pull the battery out). Try these things before a complete wipe.

0 Likes
BPNSNV

That makes perfect sense to me!  I will try that suggestion, thank you Berry much!   :smileysurprised:

0 Likes