Tour or Curve II?
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got back from the Verizon Wireless retail store. Checked out both the Tour and the new Curve II. Curve II seems to be more compact than the Tour. I input a web site into both and neither was faster in loading up the web site. Both keyboards seem equally comfortable. I get that the Tour offers the GSM network and I get that the new Curve II has the optical mouse. I believe the Tour has a bit more battery standby time (not talk time - they are pretty close). If I don't do a lot of travel outside the US, can anyone tell me why I would want the Tour?

Thanks for your help!

Larry

0 Likes
Re: Tour or Curve II?
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

My wife loved the Curve II.  I am not sure exactly what all she liked better but from what I could tell there were a few minor differences in the phones the biggest difference is the tradeoff of Global roaming or WiFi.  Aside from that there are few differences.  Personally I thought she would like the color better and I figured WiFi would be more useful than Global Roaming cause if we ever leave the country we won't want to be on our phones nor will we want to pay those kinds of rates to do it. 

0 Likes
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good points. I have also found out that the Tour has a higher resolutions display and a faster processor (I believe). Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

If I remember right and it has been a while and I didn't do real in depth research since I knew the specs wouldn't matter to her as much as her impression the tour has a slightly faster processor though I don't remember the architecture type if they are the same then slight bump to the tour on that.  Screen resolution was maybe a little higher but on a screen that small personally it isn't that big of a deal unless it is significant which in my recollection it wasn't significant and the tour may have a little more memory for apps.  Don't hold me to those since as I say I just kind of overviewed them to get a feel for which 3 or 4 to narrow our search to.  Figuring she would look at several but I could give my little in put as to tech specs in as much as they matter to her. 

0 Likes
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for your help!

0 Likes
lcolien

which one did you end up getting?  i'm in the same debate between those two right now too

0 Likes
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still debating and was waiting for a sale (which is on now actually) but learning towards the Tour. Some friends really like the Droid, but it isn't enabled for my work email. Also, the Curve II actually is too new to be enabled for my work email. So likely will go with the Tour. My 8th Voyager is giving me problems. .

0 Likes
Gitano1

I spent some time looking at the same issue. I cannot do my upgrade from my 8330 until February, so I have been much more thorough than is my wont. That is fortunate since the new Tour II will be coming to the Verizon line up shortly. It has WiFi and a much better system than the track ball. it also has a much large screen and a lot more internal memory. All in all, it will be a much better unit. I plan to get mine as soon as I can upgrade. The Curve II looks to me like a good entry level phone, but if you are looking for something that will not need upgrading for a long time the Tour II looks much better to me.

0 Likes
PROB1

I agree with the Tour II. I purchased the original Tour last fall and love it by the way.  I have not had any issues with it, but the Tour 2 looks like a superior device.  I sometimes wish I'd put up with my buggy Storm for a few more months.  That being said though, there is always going to be something a little better waiting in the wings.  There is going to be 10-15 great phones on the market before my 2 years are up, so I'm happy with my Tour, it still beats the Storm hands down. I've never played with the Curve II, so can't give you any feedback on that one.

0 Likes
larrye
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI, I spoke to two people from Verizon (who are normally very forthcoming with upcoming new product announcements). They claim that the Tour II is not anywhere near imminent. They say that the Tour is just too new to announce a successor, especially since the trackball problems have been resolved. Many times before, they have "vaguely" disclosed to me when something new is coming ... even 6 months later.

0 Likes