New to Verizon, Blackberry Curve question
Wickster

I am joining the Verizon family. I have two Blackberry Curve phones, and one Envy, so I am going to so the family share plan for 1400 min. The question I have is with Blackberry in order to use everything you need a Data plan. Will I have to pay for two data plans since there will be two phones, or will the two Curves run off the same data plan? I am unsure how much the data plan is, I am guessing about 20 a month, maybe more. If you do have to pay for two, is one discounted?

Thank you,

The Wickster

0 Likes
Re: New to Verizon, Blackberry Curve question
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Wickster wrote:

I am joining the Verizon family. I have two Blackberry Curve phones, and one Envy, so I am going to so the family share plan for 1400 min. The question I have is with Blackberry in order to use everything you need a Data plan. Will I have to pay for two data plans since there will be two phones, or will the two Curves run off the same data plan? I am unsure how much the data plan is, I am guessing about 20 a month, maybe more. If you do have to pay for two, is one discounted?

Thank you,

The Wickster

Hi,

Each Blackberry device will require a seperate data plan for $29.99 per phone, which includes up to 10 email accounts for each phone and unlimited data for web browsing.  The plans are required for each phone before you can start using them.  Remember, messaging is not part of the data plan, so if you plan to text message, think about getting the Select family plan.  That will include unlimited text, picture, and video messaging for all phones on your plan.

Doc

0 Likes
PROB1

I agree with Doc.  I have the "Nationwide Family Share Select" plan. Between the wife and kids we have 6 phones, I had to spin my phone off on to a separate attached plan as Verizon can only have 5 phones sharing a plan. Up to a month ago we "correction they" shared 700 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends as well as texts.  I have the 450 minute plan with unlimited data, free nights and weekends, and unlimited texts.  Two of my daughters have boyfriends that don't have Verizon phones, and to my surprise my bill jumped over $100 last month, and oh yah we talked about it. They were good for a couple of years sharing 700 minutes, but for the extra $20/month it was cheap insurance to jump to 1400 minutes a month and add "Friends & Family", now the boyfriend calls are free :smileyhappy: . The short answer is yes a data plan is required on each BlackBerry and mine costs $29.99. My daughter (the 29 year-old) has the EnV2 and has had along time, she had the Vpak on her phone so she gets unlimited data as well, but Verizon no longer offers it, hers is grandfathered. When I switched to a BlackBerry a couple years ago, the cost of the data plan was a major consideration. I had a Windows Smartphone at the time (it was awful, but that is another conversation). The cost of that data plan was the same as BlackBerry's, so I made the switch.  I have never regretted it, even with the Storm issues. Now I have a Tour and am still very happy. Email and web both work very quickly unlike the old smartphone. Bottom line go for it, you will be very happy.

0 Likes
Wickster

Thanks for the reply Doc,

Is it the same with all "Smart phones?" Meaning do you have a data package with every brand or type? Seems a bit silly to have to buy two data plans when the phones are on the same Family Share Plan if you know what I mean.

Wickster

0 Likes
vztournewbie
Enthusiast - Level 2

Data Plans and Family Share Plans are two seperate enities.

Data Plans are for Blackberries, Smartphones, PDA's, etc.

Family Share Plans are for texting and voice calls.

Hope it helps you and welcome to the VZW family and the boards! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes