Curve 8330 and OS 5.0
Nivek

Is Verizon ever going to release OS 5.0 for the Curve 8330? RIM supports it and most of the other carriers already have it, so when will Verizon?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Curve 8330 and OS 5.0
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

At this point I don't think it's likely that they will release it at all. VZW is severely lagging behind in releasing updated OS builds for Blackberry. Tour 5.0 anyone? 

If you're confidant and feeling adventurous you can download a version of the 5.0 OS from another carrier. Boost Mobile launched an 8330 with 5.0.0.438. That's the most recent official version I've seen. 

Crackberry.com has some great step by step guides for installing/reinstalling/uninstalling/repairing the Blackberry OS. 

I only tested .438 on an 8330 for about a week. It was stable enough for me; no random resets or crashes. The .438 build ran surprisingly well. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

At this point I don't think it's likely that they will release it at all. VZW is severely lagging behind in releasing updated OS builds for Blackberry. Tour 5.0 anyone? 

If you're confidant and feeling adventurous you can download a version of the 5.0 OS from another carrier. Boost Mobile launched an 8330 with 5.0.0.438. That's the most recent official version I've seen. 

Crackberry.com has some great step by step guides for installing/reinstalling/uninstalling/repairing the Blackberry OS. 

I only tested .438 on an 8330 for about a week. It was stable enough for me; no random resets or crashes. The .438 build ran surprisingly well. 

0 Likes
Nivek

Thanks!

Will this break my connection with the BES server?

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

*facepalm*

That's a horse of a different smell, my friend.

If your security certificates on the phone even allow you to install the OS it will most likely cause problems with your BES connection. Proceed with caution. Maybe ask your IT folks first. 

0 Likes
Geocritter

I'd definitely talk to your IT folks first.  There's a chance that it wouldn't hurt anything, but it might come down to them not allowing it (assuming it's a corporate phone) in the first place. 

I don't think that VZW is going to release it for the 8330 since it's pretty much phased out now anyway.  In fact, if I recall correctly, Boost was the only carrier to release it to the 8330.

FWIW, I ran a hybrid of 5.0 on my 8330 for a couple of days.  I didn't have any problems with it, it was maybe some faster, and seemed stable enough.  But in the end, not being able to update it from BB manager (since there are some files which might break it), etc., just made it too much of a hassle.  And frankly, I had already purchased a few programs which made up for some of 4.5's lackings, and I never really saw all that much to be excited over.  I ended up going back to 4.5, and haven't had any problems.  I used to have the reboot thing occasionally, but found out that was generally some theme or some other program that was killing it.

Basically, it was just enough to show me that the grass wasn't greener (or at least, not by much) on the other side of the fence.  Just update yours to 4.5.0.175, and a LOT of problems should be history.

That's just my 2 cent's worth, of course.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Nivek

Thanks for the tips gentleman! I got good news from the IT folks today. They are going to rip out the BB infrastructure with Groupwise and replace it with Exchange and the iPhone. Should be before the end of the month!

0 Likes