env3 and data plans
veryconfused1

I was wondering?

If I buy an env3 from ebay or craigslist, brandnew without any contract, like striaght from the manufactuer, would I be able to activate it on my current plan without having to sign up for a data plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: env3 and data plans
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Unfortunately not, it will still require the data plan. Doesn't matter where you bought the phone from, if it's a 3G multimedia device and you activate it after 1/18/2010 it will require the data plan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Unfortunately not, it will still require the data plan. Doesn't matter where you bought the phone from, if it's a 3G multimedia device and you activate it after 1/18/2010 it will require the data plan.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I even came up with the senario if the seller bought the phone before 18th and had it all activated with no data plan.  Still if you were to buy it from someone else then a data plan would be required for it when you activate it on your end. :smileysad:

I suggest sticking to an older Verizon phone if you don't want a data plan.Phones like original Alias (u740),Env2....

0 Likes
sirkoko

It does not matter when you bought the phone.  If you try to activate it today, tomorrow, etc., the data package will have to be on there. If the representative in the store tries to input the serial number in your service screen, it will say, "features added: data package 25mb + email 9.99"

If the rep tried to remove it, it will give them and error message and add it back on.

Sorry to say this, but its needed.  But trust me, if you have it, you will start using it more. I did the same thing with the enV Touch.  Didnt think I needed it, but got it, started using it, then bought a DROID because I LOVED having internet access at my fingertips when I was not at home.

Getting email, checking facebook, sports scores and everything else was awesome

Hope this helps

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

sirkoko wrote:

.... trust me, if you have it, you will start using it more. I did the same thing with the enV Touch.  Didnt think I needed it, but got it, started using it, then bought a DROID because I LOVED having internet access at my fingertips when I was not at home.

Getting email, checking facebook, sports scores and everything else was awesome

That's what I'm afraid of.....I don't even want to start down the data road because then I'll HAVE to have it!  :smileyvery-happy:

I'm already quite fond of my weather, email, facebook, and other text alerts that I get now as simple text messages, not to mention Mobile IM.  I'm not far from that $29.99/month plan on a Blackberry or Droid....and a Dataholics Anonymous membership!

But isn't that what the cell phone companies are moving towards?  The "phone"  part is secondary to the connection you have with all that data.....

0 Likes
nlm2

I just went through this yesterday with Verizon reps.  I also want the ENV3 without data plan.  Apparently it is possible.  The rep that I was 'chatting' with over the website said that I can do this by calling Verizon customer service and asking them to remove the data package.  I was leary about this so I ended my chat session and called customer service.  This rep said the same thing.  If I don't want the data package I can ask for it to be removed upon activation.  The downside - the internet browsing is disabled unless I called them back to add the package again.  As long as it's disabled I would not be able to use it even on a per usage basis.  But that's okay with me - I never use internet on my phone.  My only other choice for a qwerty phone without data plan was the Samsung Intensity - which I do not like as well as the ENV3.

I hope this works - I'll know by next week when I receive the ENV3 through the mail.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I've never heard of anyone being able to remove the data package. I hope you noted that CSR's name, because you likely will need it to refer back to.

0 Likes
Fargo

nlm2 wrote:

I just went through this yesterday with Verizon reps.  I also want the ENV3 without data plan.  Apparently it is possible.  The rep that I was 'chatting' with over the website said that I can do this by calling Verizon customer service and asking them to remove the data package.  I was leary about this so I ended my chat session and called customer service.  This rep said the same thing.  If I don't want the data package I can ask for it to be removed upon activation.  The downside - the internet browsing is disabled unless I called them back to add the package again.  As long as it's disabled I would not be able to use it even on a per usage basis.  But that's okay with me - I never use internet on my phone.  My only other choice for a qwerty phone without data plan was the Samsung Intensity - which I do not like as well as the ENV3.

I hope this works - I'll know by next week when I receive the ENV3 through the mail.

You're correct that you can remove the data package from your plan, but the downside of doing that is you'll still be billed $9.99 per month per line.   Removing the data package doesn't get rid of the "data package" monthly charge.

If you get that $9.99 per month fee waived, I'd sure like to hear exactly how you did it.

0 Likes
nlm2

After reading what you guys are saying, I decided to call Verizon customer service again today.  The rep (a different one) told me that the previous two reps were wrong - there is no way to get the ENV3 without the data plan.  So of course I'm not  a happy camper. 

I believe that I was intentionally misled by the first two reps so that I would go ahead and order the ENV3 (which I did) and then when the phone was activated that I would just go ahead and pay the $10/month.  Their little trick did not work as I will be sending the ENV3 back as soon as I get it.  It's a shame that in order to get a half-way decent phone I have to pay a fee for something that I will never use.  Unfortunately, all the other carriers seem to be doing this too. 

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Oh no. I was afraid of that, but didn't want to say I thought the rep was just trying to make a sale.

If you never activate it, your contract won't even change. But you have to send it back ASAP so you don't get billed full retail price.

Yes, the other carriers are unfortunately following this mandatory data plan model.

0 Likes