Re: Will there be a 4G Basic phone with QWERTY keyboard?
aasted_AD
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just bought an lg env off amazon. ive been trying and trying for days to get it to work. but 3g isn't supported. PLEASE make a 4g version of this type of phone. 

ill b first in line 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Good luck with that. I doubt it will happen. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

mama23dogs
Legend

@aasted_AD wrote:

I just bought an lg env off amazon. ive been trying and trying for days to get it to work. but 3g isn't supported. PLEASE make a 4g version of this type of phone. 

ill b first in line 

Carriers don’t make phones, and they order what sells.  Manufacturers haven’t made a QWERTY basic phone since 2014.  
Verizon disallowed activation of 3g only phones in 2019.  At&t no longer allows new activations of 3g phones either.  

hearmenow123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Besides the QWERTY Android phones I mentioned earlier, the closest thing I've found is the Sonim XP5s, which supports a Bluetooth keyboard. I did a review of that feature here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL80Ygb2D6M

It generally works well although it has a few annoying bugs. I contacted Sonim about the bugs and so far they have not fixed anything.

Notably the XP5s has really good battery life, I'm getting >1 week between charges. The Bluetooth keyboard seems to last close to a month.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@hearmenow123 wrote:

Besides the QWERTY Android phones I mentioned earlier, the closest thing I've found is the Sonim XP5s, which supports a Bluetooth keyboard. I did a review of that feature here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL80Ygb2D6M

It generally works well although it has a few annoying bugs. I contacted Sonim about the bugs and so far they have not fixed anything.

Notably the XP5s has really good battery life, I'm getting >1 week between charges. The Bluetooth keyboard seems to last close to a month.

Kind of defeats the idea of having a compact QWERTY phone if you have to carry around a keyboard.  I have a folding keyboard too, but I use speech to text most of the time instead.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aasted_AD, The decision on whether to make a phone with a Qwerty period is with the device manufacturer and their phone development teams. I'm sure if the demand for a physical keyboard is present, they'd consider it but given that they've shifted towards one-handed ease of use over the last several years it's hard to say for sure. It seems as though a lot of things from the past have made a comeback at some point in time so we really never know. 

EbonyR_VZW

Spacesickkitten

It's not a basic phone, but the Blackberry Priv is the only phone I know of with a keyboard that will work once they do the 3G/CDMA shutdown. You can find them reasonably on ebay at this moment for around 150 USD. They run Android and not the garbage Blackberry software. 

0 Likes
VZN-LESS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Touché

0 Likes
KH-cathy29811

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes