Will Verizon notify CDMA customers that their phones are going to stop working?
will_in_kc
Enthusiast - Level 3

My mother-in-law doesn’t believe me when I tell her that her CDMA phone is going to stop working at the end of 2019. She says that she thinks Verizon would have notified her if she had a phone that was going to be useless in 7 months. I’ve pointed out the website announcement but she is still dubious. Will Verizon be reaching out to customers in advance so they aren’t surprised on January 1, or worse yet, buying CDMA phones to replace their existing ones?

0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon notify CDMA customers that their phones are going to stop working?
bearone21
Legend

probably not.

0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon notify CDMA customers that their phones are going to stop working?
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

Why will CDMA phones stop working by the end of 2019....Is Verizon switching to a GSM Network?......Or does this have something to do with their 5G Network Implementation?

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@JOG0277 wrote:

Why will CDMA phones stop working by the end of 2019....Is Verizon switching to a GSM Network?......Or does this have something to do with their 5G Network Implementation?

Nothing to do with 5G. Verizon announced they are shutting down CDMA on Dec 31 2019 over 2 years ago

0 Likes
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

So I guess it's safe to assume, that no one actually knows the real reason why CDMA is being shut down.....If that's True....Then how do you know it has nothing to do with 5G?!?...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JOG0277, that is a great question, and we appreciate you reaching out! The CDMA Network is being retired as part of plans to transition to LTE technology. Take a look at more details here: http://spr.ly/6600E9Aur;   EricaG_VZW

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@JOG0277 wrote:

So I guess it's safe to assume, that no one actually knows the real reason why CDMA is being shut down.....If that's True....Then how do you know it has nothing to do with 5G?!?...

They annoucned the shut down before 5G was even a thing. Heck they first mentioned it back in 2012 and 4G was barely a thing then. CDMA is outdated tech and the spectrum used for that old tech is better used for LTE. That is why.

0 Likes
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/5g-vs-lte/

"They annoucned the shut down before 5G was even a thing. Heck they first mentioned it back in 2012 and 4G was barely a thing then. CDMA is outdated tech and the spectrum used for that old tech is better used for LTE. That is why."

Well, according to the link above; The 5G Network will be utilizing the existing LTE Network and the two network systems will be working together to compliment one another......How Convenient! 🤔

0 Likes