Re: Voyager not working after not being used
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

RobinCB wrote:

At the store, they were able to activate both Voyagers but were not able to install Backup Assistant.

It turns out that the activation issues may not have been due to need of an update but major tower outages due to recent windstorms.  At the store last night, they blamed not being able to install Backup Assistant on Media Center outages.

Well, I just got off the phone with Tech. Support (who I called to see if Media Center was back up) and they informed me that that was NOT the problem.  It turns out that there was something that needed to be done by 3/25/2011 (I believe this was the date) by users of various phones (including the Voyager) in order to continue access to the Media Center.  I never received that notice since I have texting blocked (notifications began while I was still using my Voyager).  I will be contacting Verizon for not notifying in some other manner. I have been reading (on this and other forums) about the Media Center update debacle - I never received any notifications, and as far as I know, none of the phones on our account got anything.  We have unlimited texting, so it's not a question of the notification being missed because it was blocked.  We USE backup assistant - and I will not be happy either if it's no longer an option for us.

I am NOT a very happy camper at this moment!  I'll update you all when I have more information.  Or maybe I should make a new post regarding Media Center on Voyager.  That way, if Verizon monitors this Community, they'll see that too.

Robin

I'm going to dig a little deeper and see if I can get some answers about the Media Center, Backup assistant, and the whole update confusion that seems to have occurred.  And start a new thread or otherwise try to let people know what I have found out.

0 Likes
RobinCB

Believe me, SuzyQ, this is far from over by me.  You may have been activated during the crucial update, maybe that is why you are not affected.  But what Verizon should have done was to send a letter to those who used to own at least the fairly newer phones.  Goodness, the Voyager is not that old!

I also need to look back to figure out when I first attempted to re-activate.  I am pretty sure it was right around the time that this update time was expiring.  If not, it was very shortly thereafter, but maybe a week or two.  Bottom line, though, is Verizon disabled fairly recent phone ... I want an explanation as to why and why they can't have the update still accessible.

Robin

0 Likes
DontRegister
Contributor - Level 2

I think its verizon's way of forcing everyone into getting a SMART phone, JMO

0 Likes
RobinCB

I agree.  I wrote to Verizon and they responded that I need to contact LG.  It is my belief that LG will send me back to Verizon.

It would sure be helpful if more of you out there also write to Verizon to complain about their lack of appropriate notification.  As I told them, I could understand if these were older phones (maybe discontinued over five years ago), but the phones that I understand were included are not very old.

Please help me by contacting Verizon so they know (as if they don't) that I am not the only one upset.  Maybe it will be them to reconisder notification and extend the update.

Robin

0 Likes
Lockup
Enthusiast - Level 3

Could not have given you any phone data.  My teenage daughter promptly destroyed that phone a while back so it is no longer in use. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

I understand your issue exactly Robin, and I can provide some insight to your issue as I have dealt with it multiple times in the past.  Basically during the period of early fall to 3/25/2011, we notified customers that had BREW (older handsets) phones that they needed to access the Get It Now or Media Center catalog before 3/25/2011.  03/25/2011 was the last day to access the catalog to receive a certificate update.  If the Media Center was not accessed during this time, the phone was inactive, or the phone had data blocks on the line, it did not receive the certificate update, and will not be able to access the catalog any longer.  We tried to be as proactive as possible during this timeframe alerting customers via bill inserts and text alerts (which would not help you if the phone was deactivated).  All other portions of the phone will continue to work normally.  You can make and receive calls, text message, picture message, go onto the web, and use all other aspects of the phone.  The only thing that will no longer work will be the Media Center/Get It Now catalog on the phone.

Unfortunately, having the phone flashed with new software will not fix the issue.  Once the certificate update period has passed, it will not become available again.  In order to access the Media Center again, you would need to take a look at getting into a more recent phone.

This did not affect all of the older phones.  Most customers did get the certificate update just fine and can access the Media Center/Get It Now catalog just fine.  It is only those who did not receive a certificate update that will run into this.  You can tell if you are affected by this by going into  menu>settings & tools> and clicking on "My Account" or "My Verizon."  If this loads, but Media Center/ Get It Now catalog will not, you are missing your certificate update and will unfortunately not be able to get it to work on this phone again.

I know I threw a lot of information out at you, but I hope this answers your question. 

0 Likes
RobinCB

MikeS1_VZW,

Please provide me with copies of bill inserts so that I can understand what I did not realize was obviously something I should have acted on.  The only bill inserts I remember seeing are advertisements and enticements.

I don't believe Verizon was proactive in this notification. I don't recall seeing a list of phones affected or any warning that particular phones needed to do anything by 3/25/11.  That is why I think you (Verizon) should re-offer this certificate upgrade/update, but this time list the phones that are affected.  All you have to do is email everyone who you normally email.

This is what I believe you need to do.

Robin

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

MikeS_VZW wrote:

I understand your issue exactly Robin, and I can provide some insight to your issue as I have dealt with it multiple times in the past.  Basically during the period of early fall to 3/25/2011, we notified customers that had BREW (older handsets) phones that they needed to access the Get It Now or Media Center catalog before 3/25/2011.  03/25/2011 was the last day to access the catalog to receive a certificate update.  If the Media Center was not accessed during this time, the phone was inactive, or the phone had data blocks on the line, it did not receive the certificate update, and will not be able to access the catalog any longer.  We tried to be as proactive as possible during this timeframe alerting customers via bill inserts (I am on paperless billing, and don't receive a bill in the mail) and text alerts (I don't recall ever getting a text alert regarding this, and we have unlimted texting on all 5 of the phones on our account - none of them got an alert)  (which would not help you if the phone was deactivated).  All other portions of the phone will continue to work normally.  You can make and receive calls, text message, picture message, go onto the web, and use all other aspects of the phone.  The only thing that will no longer work will be the Media Center/Get It Now catalog on the phone.

Unfortunately, having the phone flashed with new software will not fix the issue.  Once the certificate update period has passed, it will not become available again.  In order to access the Media Center again, you would need to take a look at getting into a more recent phone.

This did not affect all of the older phones.  Most customers did get the certificate update just fine and can access the Media Center/Get It Now catalog just fine.  It is only those who did not receive a certificate update that will run into this. It seems to be an increasing number of people, based on threads popping up on the boards here.   You can tell if you are affected by this by going into  menu>settings & tools> and clicking on "My Account" or "My Verizon."  If this loads, but Media Center/ Get It Now catalog will not, you are missing your certificate update and will unfortunately not be able to get it to work on this phone again.

I know I threw a lot of information out at you, but I hope this answers your question. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes, of course; some clarification on my other post.  You would have only received this text alert/bill insert if your phone that would be affected is active on your line during the time of early fall - 2010 to 3/25/2011.  If it was not active during that timeframe, you would not have received a bill insert/text message.  The reason?  We would potentially have to send out 90+ million texts to every customer who ever had an old brew handset.  This would have driven everyone to either call/contact Verizon because most people do not know what a certificate is or what will be affected by it.

Robin, I wish there was a way to be able to get the certificate out again to the affected BREW handsets.  Here is the straight answer on that:  The certificate update routed the catalog to the new server (commonly known as Media Center).  The old server (Get It Now/BREW) retired completely.  So the people that received that certificate update basically changed how the phone accessed the catalog altogether.  That is why all other data functions still work on the phone such as web/My Verizon/ My Account. 

The only way around this is to get a new phone that has the Media Center server already programmed in the phone (basically any feature phone launched in the last 2-3 years).

0 Likes
RobinCB

MikeS1_VZW,

My Voyager WAS active during part of that time and I was receiving paper bills.

That Verizon would have been overwhelmed with calls if you'd have sent more information out than you did is, in my opinion, preposterous.  If you'd have listed the affected phones and presented it correctly, then I don't believe you'd have been overhwhelmed with calls.  I'd still like proof of the notice.

Since when would an email to all customers cost you?  You are missing my point.  Why isolate who had what phone to send just to them?  And why a text?  A simple email to everyone listing all affected phones and what to do.

I still don't understand why this certificate can't still be installed.  Are are you saying it had to access the old server that you no longer have access to?  Oops, I just gave you an out.  I'd still like to know why I did not receive the information that was supposedly sent.  If it wasn't, since this server was only put to pasture just over a month ago, why can't it be brought back up to give an opportunity to those who did not receive notification?  You know, one more notification, via email, to all customers ... and not fine print on some advertisement but an email dedicated to the list of affected phones and the solution ... for a very limited time.

I wouldn't be asked this if I believed there had been sufficient notification.

Robin

0 Likes