Trouble deleting text messages from Extravert 2
Megs5384
Enthusiast - Level 2

My daughter and I both recently got the LG Extravert 2 and have both had the same problem. I was the first to have the problem with not being able to delete messages, but I was able to solve it after turning my phone off and removing the battery for 30 secs. But I can't seem to get my daughters phone to do the same. I've made sure the messages aren't locked (I've even locked them and then unlocked them), I've checked all the settings, I've tried to delete all messages in the inbox, all messages from an individual, and deleting each message one at a time; none of which have actually worked. It always tells me that it has worked, but then it returns to the inbox and all the same messages are there. I don't get any kind of error message, or anything saying it can't complete the action. It's getting really frustrating because this phone doesn't seem to have that much of a memory for storing text messages, and once it's full, wont accept any new messages. Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble deleting text messages from Extravert 2
Z1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same problem with my LG Extravert 2. I called Verizon and talked to a really good tech guy. LG is working on a software update to fix this known problem. Should be out soon. A week or two. Maybe tomorrow. You'll know when you get the update. It's supposed to be sent to our phones for us to choose to install. For the meantime, this worked for my phone, try erasing all of your messages. It probably won't appear to have worked. Now, power down your phone. Remove the battery for at least 30 seconds. Power it back up. Still having problems? Cause I was. Only different problems. The messages appeared gone, but it was saying memory low, inbox full, even though it now said no messages were available in my messaging. Crazy. Now, power down again. Remove the battery for at least 30 seconds. Power it back up and hopefully it works. It did for me. So far anyway. The tech said to also try, once removing the battery, to hold down the power button down for a few seconds to clear all the power all out. But, it worked without me doing that part. Keep trying the battery routine a few times if nothing is helping, I would think. Good luck.

View solution in original post

Z1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had the same problem with my LG Extravert 2. I called Verizon and talked to a really good tech guy. LG is working on a software update to fix this known problem. Should be out soon. A week or two. Maybe tomorrow. You'll know when you get the update. It's supposed to be sent to our phones for us to choose to install. For the meantime, this worked for my phone, try erasing all of your messages. It probably won't appear to have worked. Now, power down your phone. Remove the battery for at least 30 seconds. Power it back up. Still having problems? Cause I was. Only different problems. The messages appeared gone, but it was saying memory low, inbox full, even though it now said no messages were available in my messaging. Crazy. Now, power down again. Remove the battery for at least 30 seconds. Power it back up and hopefully it works. It did for me. So far anyway. The tech said to also try, once removing the battery, to hold down the power button down for a few seconds to clear all the power all out. But, it worked without me doing that part. Keep trying the battery routine a few times if nothing is helping, I would think. Good luck.

Megs5384
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks! I'll keep an eye for the update.

I had the same problem as you with the low memory messages. I was ticked at first because the phone was only  about a week old at the time and I hadn't taken many pictures and no video and had *finally* gotten my texts to delete. I kind of thought to myself 'how on earth is it possible to have low memory already?!?!'  But then, like you did, I powered down and removed the battery again and it hasn't given me a problem since. My daughter's phone though seems to be much more stubborn! I'll give it another shot in the order you listed above and see if it helps. Otherwise, I guess we'll just wait it out and see if the update works.

0 Likes
Ruthanne09

Same problem, 1 week after your post... Still no update with a fix... Kind of surprised at why it would take so long to fix such a basic feature as deleting a text message.  Common LG and Verizon, let's fix this

0 Likes
Megs5384
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's about when I started having the same problem with mine. I actually just had to get a new one sent to me because the first one completely froze up on me and wouldn't turn back on. So far, no problem with the new one, but I haven't tried to delete anything. While on the phone with the tech person for that problem, I asked about the software update that Z1234 referred to, but she knew nothing about it. She recommended that I call LG directly and ask about it. I haven't done that yet, but will try this week.

I did manage to figure out a slight loophole. If you go to the main screen (press the lock button, slide or drag lock screen.. now you're at the main screen. Sorry, I have no idea about technical terms here! lol ) then slide to the right, it should come up with all your texts listed in order of when they were sent/received. Then open each one individually and then erase. Such a pain it the butt, but I was able to delete most of them. Had a lot of them still stuck though.

Anyway, glad to know that it's not just us, but sorry you're having the same problem. I know how frustrating it is! If I find out something new on the update, I'll try to post. We're leaving for a week long camping trip on saturday, so I'm pretty busy this week! But I know my daughter is going to be itching to get her hands on her phone again (just dropped her at camp today and phones aren't allowed!) so I'd like to get it figured out before we pick her up!

0 Likes
Dobby7

My daughter is having the same problem with her new Extravert 2.  We are currently deleting one at a time just so she can receive messages.  Not sure what is the solution.

0 Likes
Megs5384
Enthusiast - Level 2

We've been doing the same. I got a bunch more to delete, but the older ones are still stuck. I went ahead and changed her settings so they don't auto save, that way at least no new ones get stuck. Hopefully anyway!

0 Likes
Z1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I started having problems again 2 days ago. New problems. When I send a text it says, "Text message will not be saved. Memory full..." I have tons of room in the phone's memory. I'm able to receive and store incoming texts, but it won't store my sent ones, because it thinks it's full. I even did a phone restore which wipes out everything. Didn't help. And about that update... who knows if and when that will ever arrive. I'm having verizon send me a replacement. I hope all LG Extravert 2s aren't defective.

0 Likes
Megs5384
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ugh! How annoying! My daughter's is doing the same thing. I'm thinking we may need to get her a new one too, but I haven't decided yet. It's not too much of a problem with hers, since she's 11 and most of her texts are "yeah" or "cool", or I'm soooooo bored!" and don't really need to be saved. lol But it's obnoxious that we even have this problem with a phone that is only a couple months old.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your concerns regarding this text messaging issue Megs5384! Let's ensure that text messages are not "Locked", See page 77 of the Device Manual for steps for locking and unlocking messages: http://vz.to/1hAjp6D. Also you can change your Messaging Setting option to "Auto Erase Inbox" which will automatically delete read messages when you exceed the message inbox storage limit. See instructions for this step in the Device Manual on page 82: http://vz.to/1hAjp6D. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes