Switching basic phone and smart phone between members of family plan.
miss_sheila

I am considering switching my basic phone with my son's smart phone.  He would like to have my phone under his current number and vice versa.  I have found the online instructions through My Verizon.  He is the only one in the family plan with a smart phone (the rest of us are all basic phones). Do you think Verizon will automatically switch my son's data package to my number? or will I have to contact verizon/go into a verizon store to do so?

This excerpt from the instructions makes me think phone calls and/or visit to the verizon store may be necessary:

"switch devices between two compatible plans on your account. Each person keeps their phone number and plan, but will have the swapped device."

Since I have a basic phone with no data package, are our plans non-compatible?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching basic phone and smart phone between members of family plan.
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

You can still switch phones.  The only problem I see is if he currently has an unlimited plan in which case that may be lost and you'll need to choose the 2, 5 or 10GB plan for your line. Probably best to just call customer service from a different device to make sure everything gets set up correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

You can still switch phones.  The only problem I see is if he currently has an unlimited plan in which case that may be lost and you'll need to choose the 2, 5 or 10GB plan for your line. Probably best to just call customer service from a different device to make sure everything gets set up correctly.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

PJNC is correct. If your son has an unlimited data plan, when you switch phones you will need to choose a tiered data plan and also remember to cancel his data plan.

0 Likes