Re: Software Update: Pantech Hotshot
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

i  noticed the same thing. it might be how you're holding the phone, or if you have a cover of some kind on it it could have something to do with that. There is a proximity sensor to the upper right of the screen. It's there to blank the screen when you hold it to your ear. if you wave your hand in front of it, the screen should blank. My wife complained of it blanking quickly while she was trying to type, and we realized it had to do with the way she was holding the phone. Then I recreated it by shifting the cover she put on it. So, this might be related to your problem.

0 Likes
pagtun

That's too funny...I just noticed the same thing. My middle finger (how appropriate) would trip the proximity sensor while I was typing. I guess I'll just have to be careful in the future!

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll have to look at her phone next time I'm home, but I wonder where the sensor is relative to normal hand position when you're holding the phone sideways to get a qwerty keyboard. I know once I accidentally was typing on it upside down (the narrow side with the button was turned to the top) so my hands should have been right over the sensor but I don't recall it going out on me. maybe it knows to disable the sensor in that case. *shrug*

0 Likes
pagtun

I think the sensor is only active during a phone call. It seems to have no

effect when just texting or using other apps on the phone

0 Likes
NRJank
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok. what about when you have the speaker on and are trying to enter your voicemail password, or use the Notepad feature, or enter contact info or something that's being relayed to you during a call. do those things disable the sensor?

0 Likes
pagtun

I just tried it and the sensor is always active during a call. The screen

will turn off if your hand, finger, or any other object gets to within an

inch or two of the sensor!!

0 Likes
pagtun

Nothing disables the sensor during a call. Pantech should get rid of the sensor and just do what most phones do, that is turn the backlight off after a certain period of inactivity. Another option would be a software update that let's the user turn off the sensor function. Or at least change the behavior of the sensor.

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
SBMongoos
Enthusiast - Level 2

So have you received the .236 update?  I've talked to a couple of techs and it sounds like there are at least six worthwhile updates. I now am using a Hotshot as a replacement and can see how the updates would help but have not received .236 yet. Still running .235.  Have tried the Check Updates but no go.

It does seem to be running smoother after having left it off over night. Maybe memory cleared but the battery was still installed.  Oddly enough this morning I now can turn on/off Airplane Mode where before I could not.  Edit: this function is gone again.  Nice! WTH?

Annoying that all the album art gets tossed into pictures. Takes forever to find an image.

0 Likes
obrnlori

It is now July and I still cannot update my software on the pantech hotshot.....you would think Verizon could do something but everytime..they appear clueless....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello obrnlori,
I understand your desire for the most current software.  The most up to date version is D8992VWBC44F.236.  If you are still unable to update please complete a factory reset by following the visuals here http://bit.ly/M9qp5c .  Please keep in mind this will erase everything, so please back up prior.  Once the reset is complete please attempt the update again.  If unsuccessful, please send me a DM with your name and mobile number.  Thank you.

TominqueB_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes