Re: Samsung SCH-U660 - OTA Software update issues
meppipe1

I have tried what you suggested.  It failed. Status says error code: 500.  Went to the Verizon Store and they said it needed to have the software completely reset to the factory settings.  They took the phone and after about 20 minutes returned it to me, and told me it could not be updated, my warranty had expired and I had not purchased insurance on the phone. So sorry about your luck.  I have been a Verizon customer since the early 1990's  I have never been told they could not help me with a problem. 

0 Likes
SR0211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try the update again after clicking on using data plan again.  I had to do this twice before I got through the unavailable  server notice and updated resumed normally. 

0 Likes
SR0211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 8.20.13 PM.png

Unblock these and try again vesta44

0 Likes
meppipe1

I have checked, and do not have the data services blocked, it continues to have a download failure.  The error code is: 500  not sure what that means.  If blocking the data will stop draining my battery then I will do that.  I don;t use the data service any way.

0 Likes
tcb_nc

meppipe1, just a thought....do you have multiple cell phones on your account?  If so, verify that you have the correct cell phone selected before unchecking the "Block All Data Services" box.  I had multiple phones on my account and was unchecking the box for the wrong phone.  Once I selected the correct phone and unchecked the box, the "Server Unavailable" message no longer appeared and the software update was successful.  This may not apply to you but I thought I would mention it as a possibility.

0 Likes
meppipe1

Yes, I have multiple phones on the account.  I have verified that I have no blocks on the Data Services, on all the phones.  I just tried again to get the software update.  I have never got a message that says "Server Unavailable", it always tries to connect and then says "Unable to Download".  When I look in the status it says "Download Failed Code: 500"

0 Likes
goofy174
Enthusiast - Level 1

Only turn off the data block. The mobile web block has nothing to do with this. I have everything blocked and I only had to click off the "block all data services," then go to Menu, Settings and tools, phone info, check now, and then do as it says.

It will download, the ask permission to update, which it lies and says 2 mins, but its more like 4 mins. and it does say data charges "WILL" apply so knowing Verizon's billing very well, eventually we'll be charged for this.

Likely the update is only to help Verizon and not the user. Probably something so that the NSA can access your info without even asking Verizon anymore.

0 Likes