Re: Kyocera DuraXV LTE set as MESSAGE TONE
KJP_SLC
Enthusiast - Level 3

Look, I don't mean to sound short tempered, but your TECH support agents are not FULLY reading my issue.

I have no issue setting the PRE INSTALLED tones. I cannot set CUSTOM MP3s I've created as tones. They don't show up in the list.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We deeply apologize for our confusion, KJP_SLC. Looking into this situation in more depth, we are not seeing any steps provided by Kyocera on how to do this with the default options. 

However, we did find steps online that state that an MP3 file saved to an SD card inserted into that model phone can be saved and set as a Ringtone through the File Manager of the phone. Once you have that sound file saved to an SD card that can be installed into your phone, you can then go to the Media Center, choose File Manager, select SD Card and select the MP3 file, then click Options and select Set as Ringtone. 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Kyocera DuraXV Extreme set as MESSAGE TONE
ndr0

Let me try to say this very simply. I have a Kyocera DURAXV Extreme flipphone. I have saved some MP3 files on my SDcard. I have selected one to be my CUSTOMIZED ringtone - NO problem.  However, I cannot select a different saved MP3 file on my SDcard and make that the sound for a new incoming MESSAGE. Is this impossible to do on my Kyocera DURAXV Extreme pnone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ndr0, when you're trying to select the Mp3 file, are you receiving any error messages? If so, what are the error messages? Also, have you tried other Mp3 files? 

StevenM_VZW

Coburn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this problem too.

When I set a ringtone for calls, the phone menu gives me a list that includes custom MP3's that I have downloaded.

When I set a ringtone for text messages (i.e. "notifications,") the phone menu gives me a different list that has different ringtones. The default is the short two-tone "ding-ding" that signals an incoming text message.

There are no custom ringtones on this list. I cannot set a downloaded MP3 as my ringtone for text message notifications.

But when I hook my phone to my computer and examine the filesystem, I see there are two folders for ringtone. One is named "Ringtones" and one is named "Notifications."

Now, if I copy some of my custom ringtones from the "Ringtones" folder to the "Notifications" folder, they do show up on the list! Now I can set a custom text message notification ringtone.

Thanks, ndr0, for helping give me the idea, and you're welcome for the solution.

test80

Several software issues:
- Unable to assign personal ring tones to contacts - Example; If I select a custom mp3 ( Audio/mpeg 14kb ) ringtone to 'Bob', when 'Bob' calls, the phone uses the Default global ringtone ( which ever I decide to set ) and ignores my personalized ringtones. This occurs for any ringtone, whether imported or the native ones from the phone.
- Unable to disable "Vibrate" to contacts; If the phones default is set to medium vibrate as a general default, I am unable to disable it for custom contact options. Under the Contact details, I am able to select the sound/vibrate options, and can select 'OFF' for vibrate. But when said contact rings me, the vibrate still activates. I have set my global vibrate option to OFF, and it still vibrates. I can lessen the intensity.
- No option to select sound options for phone call/message/multimedia message available that I have found.
- When composing a message, the character set is always set to '123'. I have to override this to get 'Abc'. No option to set my preferences for this, nor an auto-remember feature.
- 'Draft' message comes up often, but I am unable to find the 'draft' folder, or where in the conversation where the draft is. Many times, I receive a message from someone, and it has 'draft' next to it, without any user action from me.
- Display option for 'Color inversion" effects the Wallpaper as well. This is a great setting for night time use, but distorts the pictures. Any color settings for text boxes, backgrounds and text available? Would be nice to set global settings for this to help in various lighting scenarios.

I think the rest I can get used to. I upgraded from a Samsung Convoy 3, and it has a very similar operating system/icons - which made the transition learning curve easy, but I have been able to spot deficiencies quite easily. I figured the same settings would be available across the board since the same OS is being used.
I have read the manual and searched around for answers, noticed that the software is updated often as well. Maybe this can be a future consideration.

Model E4810
Hardware Ver 1010
Os Version 9
Software version 1.200VZ
Warranty Date code 19:49, Dec 3, 2020

Thank you!

0 Likes
gah3

I agree that the DuraXV has a few irritating flaws that could probably be improved by a software update?

Here is my list of suggestions, some of which are duplicated from the previous post:

- Upgrade the Message+ App to have a Draft Folder.

This may not be under the perview of Samsung, but the Message App does not allow one to create more than one text message as a draft, to a single person or a similar group of people.  If you create one draft text message, then exit out of the program, it does save it as a draft.  If you go back and try and create a new text message for that same person (or same group), it will erase that previous draft without any notification, and then begin a new draft message.

- "Message Info" for group texts does not show if the message was sent or not to each number.

If you go to "Message Info" for a group text message, it does not explain if the message was correctly sent or not to each person.  If there was a problem in sending it to a group of 5, it only says, for instance, "Send to 4", but you cannot know who did NOT get the message.  That is annoying, and I have to re-send a message to the entire group asking if anyone did not get a text message.

- Ringer tone for unknown text messages is pre-set and not changeable?

This may just be my specific phone, but when I get a text message from a number that is not in my contacts, there is a specific ring tone that goes off ("Overdrive" ringtone), and there is no setting that I can find in the Sound menu to change it.  Hopefully this is just in my phone.

0 Likes
Dinosaur3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's what I did to add a custom Notification sound to a Kyocera DuraXV LTE E4610 Flip Phone.
Note that I have developer options turned on so I can use adb to copy files to the phone.
I do not have an SD Card installed.

1) Convert the mp3 sound file to an oog file. I used the ffmpeg command line utility.

2) Copy the oog file to the phone's internal storage folder, Notifications, located at /storage/Notifications if you are using adb.

3) Open Menu -> Media center -> File manager -> Phone -> Notifications.

4) Highlight the oog media file and select Options then Set as ringtone.

5) The Notification sound will now show up in the Notification list. Set the notification sound in settings and/or Messages.

6) Change my ringtone back.

It would appear that you have to convert Notification files to an oog format, copy it to the Notifications directory of the phone's internal storage, and then register it as a Phone Ringtone to get the custom Notification to show up in the list.

Dinosaur3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Correction to my post:

The absolute path is at /sdcard/Notifications

NOT /storage/Notifications.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes