Keep getting texts in Japanese from international friend, please help.
safetysquare

Okay so I have a friend in Switzerland who sends English texts to me and somehow between him sending the and me receiving them they magically  transform into Japanese characters. Neither on of us have any idea what is going on. I mean his text were coming through as English not more then two days ago and now suddenly they are Japanese. The even weirder thing is i can send him texts and they come out just like intended: English. He swears he is not joking and i believe him because he has never been much for practical jokes. Please, we are both super confused. Any help or theories you can provide would be amazingly appreciated.

Example:

Me: Hey how are you today?

Him: * insert random string of nonsensical Japanese characters here*

Me: Oh god you do know you are texting in Japanese again right?

Him: *inset more random Japanese here*

The worst part about it is i have run the characters through google translate and it comes out as complete gibberish... So it isn't like what he is trying to say is being translated into Japanese it is more like his message is being....taken over by a Japanese storm of gobblygoop.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Keep getting texts in Japanese from international friend, please help.
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is he attaching a signature to his texts?  Is he formatting them in a different font or colored font (some phones are capable of sending like this, but the receiving phone can't "translate" the message so it comes through as gibberish)  Is he attaching emoticons or smilies?

What are the two phones involved in the texting?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is he attaching a signature to his texts?  Is he formatting them in a different font or colored font (some phones are capable of sending like this, but the receiving phone can't "translate" the message so it comes through as gibberish)  Is he attaching emoticons or smilies?

What are the two phones involved in the texting?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi safetysquare,

Have you been able to confirm the details that SuzyQ asked? These are the first steps we review and confirm first as they'd be the ones to cause messages to appear with symbols. Please keep us posted so we can review the concern.

Thank you,
MariaC_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes