I dont want to pay $30/month anymore
triscat

I tried to be hip and cool and join the droid world a while back. And as time goes on I keep wondering why am I giving Verizon $30/month for a service I dont need/want.

Right now I have a "HTC Droid Incredible". I want to not have data with it, but was told at the store that I had to. Then they proceded to tell me of all the "great" features I get with my phone and that it needs data. Great! Let me check my facebook and submit my angry birds score and check my work emails. (YUCK!). I dont have apps but here is what I do with a phone. It blew the sales associates mind that I didnt have use of those things and that I just want a dumb phone.

I call people

I text people

I take photos of people

That said. What can I do? 

• Is it true that my Driod is not able to be on a plan that only does call and text.
  • Is there "dumb" phones - like a smart phone - that can connect via wi-fi rather than having a phone data plan? Does that cost me extra to do?
  • Right now on the dumb phone - I like the looks of the LG EnV Touch, LG Octane, Casio Ravine 2.  Any others I should look at? Not sure if those do wi-fi or not.....
  • If I buy these off of craigslist is there any special considerations I should make?
  • Lastly: Is Verizon going to let me go to a "dumb plan" or am I in some wierd contract where I cannot?

I will give them a call, but wondered your 411.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I dont want to pay $30/month anymore
budone
Legend

triscat wrote:

I tried to be hip and cool and join the droid world a while back. And as time goes on I keep wondering why am I giving Verizon $30/month for a service I dont need/want.

Right now I have a "HTC Droid Incredible". I want to not have data with it, but was told at the store that I had to. Then they proceded to tell me of all the "great" features I get with my phone and that it needs data. Great! Let me check my facebook and submit my angry birds score and check my work emails. (YUCK!). I dont have apps but here is what I do with a phone. It blew the sales associates mind that I didnt have use of those things and that I just want a dumb phone.

I call people

I text people

I take photos of people

• Is it true that my Driod is not able to be on a plan that only does call and text.Correct. All smartphones require a data plan, I think there is a $20 plan now, or maybe it was offered only during the holidays
  • Is there "dumb" phones - like a smart phone - that can connect via wi-fi rather than having a phone data plan? Does that cost me extra to do? Closest thing is a KIN, but I do not know if it is still offered.
  • Right now on the dumb phone - I like the looks of the LG EnV Touch, LG Octane, Casio Ravine 2.  Any others I should look at? Not sure if those do wi-fi or not.....
  • If I buy these off of craigslist is there any special considerations I should make? Must be VZW branded and get the ESN so you can call prior to buying to make sure the phone is clear so you can activate it
  • Lastly: Is Verizon going to let me go to a "dumb plan" or am I in some wierd contract where I cannot? You are more than able to fall back to a basic/feature phone and cancel data. However, if you have an unlimited data plan, it will be history and you will no longer be able to add it again after 14 days of not having the data plan.

I will give them a call, but wondered your 411. That's my 411

Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

triscat wrote:

I call people

I text people

I take photos of people

• Is it true that my Driod is not able to be on a plan that only does call and text.Correct. All smartphones require a data plan, I think there is a $20 plan now, or maybe it was offered only during the holidays
  • Is there "dumb" phones - like a smart phone - that can connect via wi-fi rather than having a phone data plan? Does that cost me extra to do? Closest thing is a KIN, but I do not know if it is still offered.
  • If I buy these off of craigslist is there any special considerations I should make? Must be VZW branded and get the ESN so you can call prior to buying to make sure the phone is clear so you can activate it
  • Lastly: Is Verizon going to let me go to a "dumb plan" or am I in some wierd contract where I cannot? You are more than able to fall back to a basic/feature phone and cancel data. However, if you have an unlimited data plan, it will be history and you will no longer be able to add it again after 14 days of not having the data plan.

I will give them a call, but wondered your 411. That's my 411

Thanks!

0 Likes
triscat

Awesome information! Thank you so much.It looks like the Kin TwoM is the way for me (great camera, does wifi, text, and calls). I see it has short comings with IM and calendar but those are features I dont use..... seems simple and perfect for me!

One follow up question I might have to beat a dead horse:  How do I know if it is a VZW branded phone? If when I get the ESN number and give it to verizon will they know if it is VZW branded and compatible? Or do they just know if it is stolen or something?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

If the ESN is clear, the phone will be VZW branded and not stolen or with a payment due on it

0 Likes