Do basic phones have data plans?
VoxThatRox

Currently I have an Android Razor that I want to switch to a basic phone. I don't use much of my (1 GB) data plan and find it's a waste of money to pay for what I'm not using. If I switch to a basic phone, is a data plan required? I would like my bill to be around $30-40/month. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do basic phones have data plans?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a great question. Let's get you some answers. You will not have to carry a data plan with a basic phone. Data plans are required on smartphones. You will be able to sanve some money in the process.
BobbyN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

We all need to wait until Aug 13 to really know what the price changes are.  Right now, it wouldn't do you much good to figure the math out with the plans changing tomorrow.  But yes, even basic phones can use data.  Again, we will know more tomorrow.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a great question. Let's get you some answers. You will not have to carry a data plan with a basic phone. Data plans are required on smartphones. You will be able to sanve some money in the process.
BobbyN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

To answer your question for the meantime, you could pay around $25 a month for 700 minutes, but any data use, for which even flip phones can use, is $1.99 per MB.  If you choose to buy a phone instead of activating an older phone, you would be looking at an extra $8 or so per month for a cheap flip.

Plan Listing

I dont know if that link will populate the plan i was looking at, but suffice to say that any data you might use, could rack up a bill, however little basic phones use.

0 Likes
kcmilo
Enthusiast - Level 2

My family all has basic phones & am wondering the same thing.  Does that mean I would just pay the per line charge? $20 (or $40 a month depending on my decisions regarding new phones).  I noticed there is a $5 for 700 minutes "data" option.  Is that what I would need to choose?  Or do I not need to choose that at all?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

For NEW or OUT OF contract customers.  The basic phones have a $20 access charge and $5 for 700 minutes.  There is no data or text included with that plan.  Data is $1.99 per 1MB. Texting is .20 cents per in or out message. The S plan for Basic phones is 1GB for $30 + $20 access and unlimited talk and text.  So basic phones can be either $25 no data or $50 1GB data a month.

kcmilo
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is what I thought I read!  Thank you!  We are all out of contract.

Snn5
Legend

And, it isn't hard for someone to rack up $2 a day in text messaging on that new basic plan.  That's about what...10 total messages?  $60+ a month in text charges.  Really looks like Verizon is pushing towards smartphones since, IE...it can get expensive being on a basic phone plan and trying to use it for anything other than calls.

kcmilo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I finally found this.  You are right, they are really pushing smart phones - its hard to find this information & its still not as clear.  It says unlimited "messaging" though - I am assuming that's text & picture messaging?  Am I wrong to assume that?  The data packages specifically say unlimited "talk and text" & "messaging". 

I am hesitant to switch my plans until I am sure what I am getting.  I have a pretty old plan that I didn't think was so bad. 

Yes, The Verizon Plan for basic phones includes:

• 700 minutes  for $25/month
  • Unlimited messaging, including international messaging from the US
  • $0.45/minute for more minutes
  • $1.99/MB for data
0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

This is what I see:  I do not see the unlimited messaging though.

Capture.PNG

0 Likes