Data plan required for Alias 2?
Castille_01

I know this question has been posted before, but I've researched it and gotten different answers. I know back in 2010 and 2011 the Samsung Alias 2 required a data package but does it still, now that there are just smartphones and basic phones on Verizon's lineup? A friend of mine recently upgraded and offered to give me her Alias 2 but I don't want to pay for a data plan, even if it is only $10 extra.

I read on another forum here that a lady called and had the data removed from her child's Alias 2, so is that an option as well?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data plan required for Alias 2?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe you can activate the Alias 2 without a data plan.  Call customer service and ask.  (800-922-0204).

0 Likes
Malchore

When you say Alias 2, do you mean the Samsung Zeal? Or is there really such a thing as an Alias 2? Because I've heard them used interchangably before.

Anyways, I have a Samsung Zeal (activated in December 2010) and I didn't have to buy a data plan. It was offered to me, of course. But I just selected "No" to the data plans. It's a great phone and doesn't need any data plan.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Alias 2 and the Zeal are the same phone.  It came out as the Alias 2, requiring a data plan, then as the Zeal which did not.  I don't believe you need to have a data plan on either one, at this point.

0 Likes
gls
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just reactivated an old Alias 2 and I'm HUGELY disappointed that it required me to put data on it.  We had two of these phones and neither required data the two years we used them. SO yes, as of today's date, they require data.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

call verizon, as data is NOT required on an allias II. i have one on my plan and was able to drop the data plan more than a year ago. if you activated it automatically, the system may just be out of whack if it prompted you to add data. however, if you call, they can drop it. verizon no longer distinguishes between basic phones, feature phones, and smartphones. it's either basic (no data requirement, which the allial II is) or smart.

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

gls wrote:

I just reactivated an old Alias 2 and I'm HUGELY disappointed that it required me to put data on it.  We had two of these phones and neither required data the two years we used them. SO yes, as of today's date, they require data.

If that phone is considered a mulimedia phone then it should not require data.  Call back or go back to the store if you did it that way an tell them you want the data taken off.  They should have known to do that after it was activated.   Mary

0 Likes
gls
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the feedback!! I'll contact them! 

0 Likes
gls
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you Mary! Appreciate the reply!  I'll talk to them.

0 Likes
SD211

Did Verizon remove the data plan for your Alias2?

0 Likes